Monday, January 20, 2014

Thank You For Saving Us From Ourselves Sir My President- Ronald Reagan






























  • You and I have a rendezvous with destiny.We'll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we'll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness.
  • The last two lines from Ronald Reagans 1964 Speech A Time For Choosing.
  • If you can read that and not be thoughtful- if not fearful for our future, a little misty eyed while your chest simultaneously swells with pride I don't know what to think about you.
  • Just those last two lines ought to grab you by the throat.
  • He is one of the few historic figures I would have have liked to have met and he is near the top of the list.
  • He was the first president I voted for and interestingly for whatever I may have accomplished in my life that is one of my proudest moments.
  • Such a simple thing, but I am proud of that.
  • If people did not improve their standard of living during his presidency- they weren't trying. From the military, to the sciences, to the building trades- there was something for everybody. I can say I personally knew many people who made fortunes back then who would be lucky just to get by today.
  • I had dinner once with an assistant to one of his Deputy Secretaries Of Defense. We had lobster and steak.
  • I knew he had a degree in economics, but only recently learned he also had a BA in sociology.
  • Most people who know anything about him know he was first a Democrat, but it is often forgotten he was a liberal Democrat who admired FDR.
  • My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes.
  • Isn't that the best?
  • He initiated a massive arms race that eventually broke the Soviets, but also worked directly with Secretary Gorbachev to decrease the number of nuclear warheads in our stockpiles. This isn't contradictory- it's the way things were. Another president may have had the guts to shovel more money into the defense spending fire to try and break another country. Another president may have tried to negotiate arms control to decrease the number of nukes. Who could have sensed you had to do both?

No comments: