Saturday, December 3, 2011

Saturday's Situation







  • On NPR the other night I heard a statistic I hadn't thought much about, but intuitively knew to be true- black people in America hardly ever kill themselves. I promise you- if you have ever counted many black people as friends, think about it and see if you've ever even heard of one (or one of their family members) suiciding- then do the same with whites you know (or even know of).




  • My children's great grandfather killed himself by cutting his jugular vein with a pocket knife. During a hospital stay, he was diagnosed with cancer. He asked to be left a pocket knife and whet stone. The whet stone for sharpening the knife, For something to do and the knife itself, To clean my nails with. Sometime the next morning he did the deed. I've often wondered if there's some retired, old crochety nurse sitting in a nursing home who thinks often of walking into his room after he killed himself. When a persons jugular is severed, it can take minutes for them to die- they will bleed nearly completely out before they expire. I mean really- what a bloody mess that must have been.




  • Someone I was formerly involved with and with whom I still have some contact, now likes multiple things that when we were together it irritated her to no end that I liked them.




  • Women.




  • My daughter wants to either play the drums or guitar when she's old enough for band.




  • The Sound Of Winter




  • Must be your skin I'm sinking in...

1 comment:

RPM said...

Why not learn to play both? Honestly drumming is easy, either you have the rhythm for it or you don't. Guitar is MUCH harder. Buy her a cheap guitar to learn on this Christmas. If she doesn't give up, then buy her a nice one next year. If she does then buy her a set of drumsticks.