Monday, December 12, 2011

Monday's Missives

Gerry II (AKA Sissy) the elephant who lived for years at Frank Buck Zoo in Gainesville TX. I took a friend and my mother there when I was a teenager. The friend teased the elephant acting like he had something in his hand to feed it after I fed her an apple. Before I could tell him to quit, it swatted him with it's trunk throwing him back several feet into the fence of another enclosure and covering him with elephant snot. She would later be known worldwide for surviving a flood with only her trunk above water wrapped around a tree branch. She lives now in a elephant sanctuary in Tennessee.






  • Something is wrong with us: Justin Bieber is a gazillionare, a household name and his videos get literally hundreds of millions of views and this guy is busking for change.





  • There may be more embarrassing things than taking your son out to eat and your card doesn't work, but I've never experienced it.





  • At worship this morning they did a special presentation for veterans. The men were asked to come up and lead us in The Pledge. Everyone was pestering me to go up. Why didn't I?





  • I have my own reasons for not participating in things like that, but the clincher was seeing the vignettes of member's stories on the video- _________ flew 175 combat missions over North Vietnam. _______ was a door gunner in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. ___________ was a an infantry officer in the Chosin Reservoir battle in the Korean War. ________ ship sank two German subs and shot down 5 aircraft...





  • Good grief- I was thankful I kept my seat.





  • Although he wasn't there, it was cool to see a friends story and pictures of his truck and team while we were downrange though.





  • My guess is, in the church I attend there are many fewer than the national average of obese people.





  • I ate some BBQ and lemon flavored chips with a sammich the other day- very good.





  • Your unsolicited relationship advice for the day: if you want to see what a woman you're interested in will look like in 20 years- look at her mother. If you want to know how she'll treat you- look at how she treats her brothers.





  • According to spellcheck- sammich is not a word. Smirch and smooch are offered as alternatives.





  • Isn't that odd.





  • Your new favorite band: The Joy Formidable- Whirring

1 comment:

an Donalbane said...

That street violinist was awesome!