Friday, December 2, 2011

Friday's Dispatch










  • I don't get annoyed a lot, but if I wake up early and forget to turn my alarm off it annoys me when it goes off.


  • Jedi mind trick: if I'm in a setting where there's a lot of different personalities and the treatment of people in the setting seems to be driven by same I might hint at something I dislike to certain people- something that doesn't bother me at all. For that thing I know every catchy comeback and slam in the world- when they decide to try and embarrass me with it.


  • At a homeless shelter I work at sometimes doing screenings a woman came in with water splashed on her face and tears running out of her eyes. It became apparent why when she passed by- she'd been pepper sprayed.


  • Thank you God, genetics and luck.


  • I have a bad habit of not drinking enough water at work.


  • 50 Secrets Nurses Won't Tell You- the cover title to an article in Readers Digest. I haven't read it yet.


  • On candystripe legs the spiderman comes softly through the shadow of the evening sun.

3 comments:

aroundthecorner said...

I have read it. I believed most. W-spouse, being a nurse, believed all.

Kathleen... said...

Pepper spray??? Interesting lil' twist...!

el chupacabra said...

Arounder- Update: I've read it since that post was scheduled. I can believe most of it for some nurses and most of the rest didn't seem that intriguing. The only one I might argue with was the gossiping about patients between nurses at the station. It happens- in very toxic settings where that is only a symptom of massive problems. Gossiping about patients is actually a topic of ethical discussions- starting in nursing school. In a well led operation it's one of the first things you'll be warned against.
One thing I can promise most nurses in most situations SHOULD do whether they know it or not which was adressed in the article: when asking a patient about drug use, drinking or smoking- multiply what they admit by 2 and based on their presentation consider 3X.

Kathleen- Cool new pic. O man- soooo sad. She is a very annoying mentally ill lady so I can guess she got in the middle of a fracas (that she may have caused) and the cops who are everywhere in that area may have pepper sprayed an attacker and she got caught in the crossfire.
Homelesss people whether the aggressor or victim- fight a LOT. Or well, a lot of them do- which makes it doubly sad for those who are less able to defend themselves.