Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Nursing Story






  • The clinic where I work has an associated Class D pharmacy. That means within certain parameters, nurses issue meds. There is a relatively narrow scope and relatively tight controls, but yes- nurses refill prescriptions without a pharmacist on site.



  • Recently, a patient came in and told the front desk girls he was issued an empty bottle of medicine and presented as proof an empty bottle with the refill date of his last visit.



  • Unfortunately for him- the universe brought him back to me- the same nurse who issued the bottle of meds.



  • As soon as she showed me the bottle I remembered him and our exact conversation.



  • I have a ridiculously good memory. Really- as in, when you challenge my recall of events not only I, but any bystanders who know me, will automatically assume you have an agenda the rest of us should be wary of.



  • As bothersome to me as people who doubt how crazy good my memory can be are those people who think I'm as dumb as they are.



  • Anyway.



  • He had requested an extra bottle of medicine just days before since he was planning a trip to Mexico. We only issue one month of medicine at a time since side effects and adverse reactions generally develop slowly and can be caught before things go way south if we check on them at least once a month. I gave him the meds and he more or less changed his story reporting he may or may not be gone all that long anyway.



  • I consulted a nursing buddy. Correctly she said,"Well, it's your word against his- you can't refuse the medicine, but you don't have to count it toward his treatment either. I said,I know you're right, But. He's. Getting. Some. Blood. Drawn. Does he have labs ordered? she asked. No, I replied, but he's gonna remember the old, bald, gringo nurse after today!



  • When I went out to the lobby and called him the color drained from his face. When he walked into my office he stopped in his tracks and backed up when he saw all the lab supplies lying out on the table set up for the draw. He backed up and sat in the chair furthest away from the draw chair.



  • For a while he glanced at me nervously while we waited for my translator. I looked as cool and impassive as possible. When she came in I said, We'll, since Mr. _______ thinks I would issue him an empty bottle of medicine, we have quite a bit of ground to cover... and I flat, busted out laughing- I could not contain myself. His face turned red and his eyes did not come off the floor.



  • Busted.

3 comments:

Kathleen... said...

You. Rock.

And I know exactly what you're talking about in the memory department. Same here. Nothing gets my goat more than someone who challenges it. Etched in stone. ;-)

You have NYs Eve plans? Ya gotta come out and hang w/us. =)

el chupacabra said...

Hey Kathleen- Thanks- as always, you're too nice to me. I'll have my children and we're going on a little trip.

Kathleen... said...

Ah, that's even better for NYs, then. Have fun!