Saturday, October 1, 2011

Saturday's Situation








  • If you were wondering why the earth got so quiet and everyone seemed on the edge of their seat a few minutes ago, it was probably because of this headline: Toby Keith weighs in on gay marriage and the military.



  • Things clicked on the new job yesterday- I'll be fine. The only thing worse though than having to learn a new electronic medical record program? Try being in an organization that is still between the switch to full EMR and paper records.



  • Weatherford, for a city that has always been largely insulated from economic woes because of being a medical hub, proximity to Lockheed, Fort Worth in general and a few other factors has way too much vacant commercial property. I mean way too much- with many buildings never occupied. The signs will read, For Lease! then, For Sale! then, Price Reduced!!...



  • When you take a kid to feed the ducks make sure there's enough for the ducks and the kid. None of my children have ever been able to resist. Although, last time I could not blame Zac- I brought rolls and cornbread from Paris Cafe.



  • In a meeting the other day a woman divided her time about equally between scooping wax out of her ears and cleaning said wax from under her fingernails.



  • It was mesmerizing. I'm still not sure what that meeting was about.



  • My last hospice patient made it 15 days without a drop to drink or a bite to eat.



  • I'm not sure of the answer, but would be very curious to know how the average hospice nurse faces their impending death.

2 comments:

Opus #6 said...

The meeting woman must have Asperger Syndrome. Only explanation.

Sorry about your late patient. Everybody longs to help and heal in the health professions. It must be hard to be stymied in that way at hospice.

an Donalbane said...

I was surprised, when I checked Wikipedia, the boxed set, that W'ford's population is not greater than it is - I would've thought 60-75K - and I actually have a reasonably good idea of where the city limits are.

For all my visits - have never ventured into either of the large retail centers at S. Main, on either side of the interstate. The one on the north reminds me of the Arlington Highlands development, from what I've seen from the exit ramp.

Gibson's is still my favorite place to go, when I've got the time to stop in there.