Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Willies 41st Picnic- An After Action Report




In the parking lot- a superfan's truck

The gate: awesomeness and dehydration awaits
  • I've learned the days my gratitude exceeds my expectations tend to be pretty good days- Ray Wiley Hubbard Modern day poet and troubadour at Willie's Picnic.
  • It was obvious to me without prior knowledge his very good guitar player is his son.
  • Willie's son Lukas sounds like somebody goofin' on Willie Nelson when he sings but man- he can play the guitar.
    No, not weed smoke


    As with most any music festival it was a people watchers dream.

    Lots of disrespect being levied toward the US flag to be found there.
  • Willies Picnic T Shirts were 45 dollars. RWH's were 20 bucks.
  • Charley Pride was very disappointing. He rambled, his timing was bad, became breathless, forgot lyrics and complained the bass was too loud.

  • David Allen Coe was surprisingly very- very good although once reminded- I recall hearing before he looked like death warmed over performing and stood there like a zombie when a buddy saw him in some dump in Cali. At the picnic he still looked like a zombie but stayed seated the entire set.
  • Josh Abbot was great. He took note of Willie standing off the side listening to him sing. It was a moment he'll never forget.







  • I do not regret quitting drinking and when there is a temptation I usually don't have to look to far nor long to find a reason to remember why I quit and be OK with my H2o and cherry limeades.
  • Sometimes I spice it up and live large with a sweet tea.
  • Besides an initial flourish when Willie's and Josh Abbot's set started, there was a lot less weed smoke than I would have guessed.
  • There always seems to be a mob of douchebags and douchebagettes who fight the their way to the front of the crowd during a band's set then they push their way out before it is even nearly over. I picture them working their way to the front- just to take a selfie and update their social media of choice.
  • I sang You Were Always On My Mind to FG with Willie backing me up. She acted like it was apropos.
  • Man, it was hot and humid. We brought our evaporaritive cooling bandannas but you know strangely, they only work when they can evaporate.
  • There were so many drunks staggering around everywhere. There was the, Oh, I'm not staggering- it was a rock I stepped on! type who would stop in place and kick the imaginary offending rock out of the way. Then there was the, I'm not staggering- I'm dancing! ones and of course the, I'm not drunk- something important over that way caught my attention so I'll stop for a few seconds and look over there...
    Sooo drunk.

    How drunk you ask? Here he is an hour or two later.

    I doubt she expected to be face down in the dirt when she was getting ready to leave the house that morning.
  • So many drunks and you know as well as I that 90% of them got behind the wheel of a car when the show was over.
  • It was a thrill to see both Willie and RWH and I can tell you RWH put on a better show. As usual Willie ended with Will The Circle Be Unbroken?  and a few others with The Family. It was nice and yes- you get the feeling you're part of something bigger than yourself and you have to look around and remember, We'll never be here again.



  • A CH C47 in D-Day livery flew over. (thanks Don- it even looked weird when I wrote it)
  • They had a water point where you could fill up water bottles for free. That was nice- it really was but if they were going to have one (which is all I saw) then they should have had two to three. Then they really, really could have been positioned so the runoff they created didn't make a swamp you had to wade through to get to the porta johns.
  • Josh Abbott fired a few T Shirts from a T shirt gun to try and get some swag to the people in the rear.  Two just went high and still landed in the front crowd. One landed on top of the sound booth.
  • There didn't seem to be nearly as many people there as I thought would attend.
  • They should plant some fast growing trees like poplar around the periphery of the lot.
  • The lot it was held on is called The North Forty. The surface could have really used some work. It was uneven, rocky and the mostly white limestone surface made it very glary. The lot could be drug down and leveled, the larger rocks removed and then some fine gravel be thrown down and none of this in the scheme of things would be a drop in the bucket as money goes.


    There was great bricks though left from old paving.
  • Huh, "glary" isn't a word? Well, it is now.

    Something tells me he never went to U of  K






    Lots of hats

    All over each other- all day

    Here, have a cloud picture


    Lots of boots
    I just thought she was photogenic

    Lots of hats and few black people. Here, this lady adds to the first statistic and tries to make up for the second.



    They were all over each other- all day. I'm far from a prude but hey, at least act like you've been out in public before.
    Lots of hats and beards

    Gross

    He clumsily played air guitar like he wanted people to believe were it not for his tragic fish cleaning accident it would have been him up on that stage

    Not dead- I saw her move later

    Not dead either

    When she walked by people nudged and pointed and shook their heads

    Everybody wanted to remember


    Person under there

    Character




    Girl roadie is cool

     I don't know them but I'm sure I would like them and they're good people who you could trust with your life. 'Merica



    She took the stamp to to heart. She was so drunk. Her beaten down hubby gave up trying to get her to take it back a notch.

    Is she famous? She looked familiar

2 comments:

an Donalbane said...

I dig the SuperFan truck - wonder why he didn't include Uncle Ted on the Beer for my Horses panel?

Disappointed to hear CP wasn't up to par. I guess that's why we have the old RCA vinyl.

I'm kind of an uncloseted prude/curmudgeon. I don't do the weed - my sum total dalliance with the cannabis consisted of about 3 j's circa 1978 or so. My mother threw out the 8-9" plant I was growing in my bedroom windowsill from one of the seeds. Nonetheless, a person's gotta breathe, and it's not like I'm gonna hold my breath, ya know. I remember going to FM on the Rumours tour at TCCC '77, Kenny Loggins opening. We were about 6 rows from the top. Didn't need to bring your own, the haze just sorta wafted up there. Que sera, sera, no?

Glad to hear FG enjoyed your serenade.

I think we may have seen the same DC-3 flying over Panther Island several times, although at the time I didn't recognize it as a C047/DC-3, thought its wings were too long - I did notice the stripes. I know you didn't really mean CH-47(Chinook).

Nice Thurber bricks.

I'm guessing the LEO or rent-a-cop with his hand on his piece isn't really trigger happy - just making sure to secure his weapon in an environment where not a few folks may not act entirely rationally.

Sounds like a successful day.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.