Thursday, July 24, 2014

Clark Gardens After Action Report


Not a flower









What are these things?








  • Clark Gardens in Mineral Wells is perfect. If you knew me and went with me yesterday (05/25/2014) you would have braced for me to beat you down with all the maintenance problems and design flaws I noted. Only thing is I didn't have a thing to say- it is basically perfect. Some of the walking surfaces need to be redone and I would have liked to see more birds but it was so well cared for and designed those are true nitpicking thoughts.
  • There were lizards everywhere and we saw one snake. We saw Texas spiny lizards and what I'll identify (possibly incorrectly) as a spotted whiptail. We didn't see the peafowl that were heard screaming but we did see a swan, some ducks and a bunch of guinea fowl.









  • I have always liked the sound of a peacocks scream although I'm sure a little goes a long way.
  • The chapel is gorgeous.





  • Although I didn't see one in person or on their site the gardens would lend itself very well to webcams and I would be highly curious about the wildlife who call the gardens home.
  • The pavilions that overlook the lakes are beautiful.
  • The G-scale trains were a surprise treat, although I'll admit when I heard about them I didn't know what G Scale meant so I was pumped at the idea of getting to ride a train through a park! I'm a gooberhead that way.

  • They were advertising for volunteers but the hours posted were for Monday-Friday. Maybe I can burn up some personal time.
  • There were plants for sale- decidedly ugly and slightly expensive plants- I would have guessed the expensive part but was surprised at the apparent low-ish quality.
  • While not rigidly so, it is a formal garden although thankfully here and there somebody with a sense of humor got to choose accouterments to sitting areas.






3 comments:

an Donalbane said...

Daughter and I attempted to go to CG two or three years ago, on the way to MWSP, but it was closed. By virtue of where we parked in MWSP, we hiked back east to within a few hundred yards of the CG driveway.

Before it got dark, we drove across the dam and checked out the screen cabins and saw a ton of venisons on the hoof.

el chupacabra said...

But you've been before - right Don? I know where you're talking about for the deer sighting. We see them there nearly every evening.

an Donalbane said...

Nope - the parking lot is as close as I've gotten to CG, twice. Some day...