Monday, July 28, 2014

Iraq Flashback









  • To fit in in my platoon in Iraq you'd have better known the words to every country song, classic rock song, present day pop and be able to adapt and quote nearly every movie to what was happening at the time.
  • A guy from my platoon was getting on my buddies nerves (or at least he acted that way) while he was playing a video game. Finally he acted like he'd had enough grabbed the guy, picked him up and threw him out of the tent and said,  And stay out of the Woolworths!
  • Jersey barriers at our gate had, We Don't Rent Pigs! spray painted on them.
  • Come back from leave and get asked how it was? You get a distant, cold stare in your eyes and say, When I was in the desert all I could think of was getting back to the world and when I was in the world all I could think of was getting back to the desert.
  • Get surrounded by a pack of wild dogs on the way to the chow hall? You act like a stark raving maniac when you tell the story, I gotta remember- never leave the tent! Never leave the tent maaaaan!
  • Overwatching an intersection to catch bomb placers? You're cold, bored, tired, hungry or hot or some crazy combination of the five just hoping you can shoot somebody when across the radio comes a voice in an impossibly over the top twang, Well I was drunk the day my momma got out of prison. Then another voice from another radio, And I went to pick her up in the rain. From a third radio, But, before I could get to the station in my pickup truck- she got got runned over by a danged ole train...
  • Yeah, that was the kind of stuff we did.
  • Guess you had to be there.

No comments: