Monday, July 7, 2014

Mondays Missives

Sinister looking- on the ground even.


Deadly in flight- Mi 24 Hinds.



MI 17 hovering.





These things don't fly- they beat the air into submission


  • You'd know I won a lottery when I buzzed my friends house's in a Mi 17 bird.
  • And that it was a real big one if I did it in a MI 24 Hind.
  • Everybody should fly in a helicopter- at least once.
  • Hummingbirds are swarming the flowers this year.
  • Maybe I should put up a feeder.
  • Too hot to do anything. Going outside earlier was like opening the door to an oven.
  • Although they probably knock a month or two off your life each- I could live on bacon cheeseburgers.
  • Boy I miss my children when they're away.
  • Take it away Courtney and Hole with Dying.

1 comment:

an Donalbane said...

You're right, that -24 is freakin' awesome.

Ein Freund von mir, going back to 4th grade, went straight to Rucker after A&M, and supposedly was in the first cadet class to learn to fly the AH-64s who didn't have VN-era experience. He did that for about 4 yrs or so at Ft. Hood, but when he made Captain he was flying a desk more than the chopper, so he transitioned out to the FBI.

I've only flown in one rotorcraft, KRLD's Jet Ranger, with Ron DeRoxtra, back in the '80s on the afternoon traffic report. Made about 3 passes around the 635/I-30/Loop 12 circuit - crossed paths with Jonathan Hayes in the yellow KVIL-o-copter, and Dick Siegel told off-color jokes from the Tarrant County side of things over the radio. Rumor had it that low flying chopper drivers sometimes got a show from the roof swimming pool at the Renaissance Hotel by Market Hall, but none for us that afternoon. Fun times.