Monday, July 14, 2014

Monday's Missives

You used to these goofy things in the 90s all over antique stores, shops and tea rooms. Some dogs go ballistic over them- I don't blame them, they're pretty creepy.
  • Joy Division was founded by guys who figured they could start a band of their own if Sex Pistols could do it after seeing a  SP show. For this to be true their instrumentalists were very competent and actually were even very good technically.
  • Joy Division's 1979 album Unknown Pleasures is on my list for when I get my new car with the ultimate sound system.
    Way creepier than the subjects would ever want to admit.
  • One of the clerks from work reported she had something hanging from the bottom of her car. It was a shroud to protect the brake lines. It is amazing the things you can still fix on a car with some wire (which I jacked from my nursing buddies boombox antenna I had previously rigged up for her).
  • On a related note: what if that girl was 300 lbs and ugly instead of strikingly beautiful- would I have helped her? Yes, I would but who else in this world would have?
  • The antenna for the boombox was born of necessity. Our building is so thick, dense and well built you can't get traditional FM/AM reception so I wired her radio to her overhead file cabinet effectively making it a giant antenna.
  • I'm really smart that way.

    Speaking of creepy these leather covered books are that if nothing else but they are something else- cool. The lady that makes them hollows out a compartment so you can stash a... derringer is what I picture. Anyway, one is on my list when I have a 100 bucks burning a hole in my pocket.
  • FG (friend-girl) asked if I had starting referring to her as girlfriend on here now that her status has changed. I shook my head around and made some weird noises. She repeated the question. I looked at her and said, Noooo, girlfriend doesn't sound very cute nor clever- it sounds... ominous. FG sounds funny and is light.
  • Although also being goofy, I was being honest - she was decidedly unimpressed.
    Disembodied doll heads are always creepshows.
  • Personally I know two different guys who had bands that when they needed a drummer just grabbed a guy and showed him how to play the drums. One was some Army guys on a lame overseas deployment, another was a garage band. The garage band's drummer was a no show during practice so the singer grabbed a guy and and said, Sit here, hit the foot pedal on a three count (or whatever the number was) tap the cymbals when you think it sounds right and and rock the snare as I scream our way out of the song. I'm not making a lame joke about drummers but that is how those two got started and they continued to play for at least a couple of years I know of and the garage band had some local to regional recognition.
    Fish with the eyes eaten out- creepy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those book covers look really amazing. They would be a good place to store my beef jerky.

Joy Division is one of those bands I always mean to dive into and discover but never have. They are still on my to-do list, I guess. My uncle used to listen to a lot of New order, which is more colorful and family-friendly Joy Division, so it has diverted me from looking into them.