Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Wednesday's Digressions

How to know we've already lost Afghanistan: millions are at risk of starving and except for certain areas there isn't a thing we can do about it. Not only that- the reason a lot of them are starving is our fault since we cut them off from their cash crop of poppies.













  • If I was a NASCAR driver I'd do the doughnut at the finish line, slide sideways into the winners circle and do a back flip from the door of my car and then hose everybody down with champagne.






  • Even if I lost.






  • Saliva Your Disease.






  • When I was in high school there was a program called Upward Bound for kids with promise who needed guidance and would not otherwise have the means for college. A teacher and guidance counselor nominated me for the program which in our area was based at UNT in Denton TX. I did not complete the course to get the scholarship involved, but I owe the college and by extension the success I've had to that program since it gave me a little belief in myself- so when I was out of excuses and knew I needed to go to college I knew I could do it. Will Niklas and Nancy Meade were in charge of the program then and I'll never- ever forget them.






  • We would take a bus to the campus on Saturday and spend the night. In the summer we stayed a couple of weeks. God bless the RAs and assorted mentors- we made them earn their pay.






  • During the first big blow up when I knew my marriage was probably going to end my wife told me to leave the house about 10 o'clock at night. I picked up my keys and walked toward the door. "No, wait- you can sleep on the couch." Being exhausted I drug some stuff out of the linen closet to pull over myself and lie down. It took a while, but about the time I dozed off she came out and said,"Come to bed. I can't sleep without you." Her eyes were swollen from crying.






  • Manchester Orchestra Please Don't Go

2 comments:

RPM said...

We fubar'd Afghanistan... twice. Once when they stopped listening to Charlie Wilson. But don't get me started.

Kathleen... said...

What a dreadfully sad picture. Haunting, really....

I had an English teacher/coach in H.S. who drove me bananas about my writing. She was always nagging me about fulfilling my potential, etc. I think of her often and wish I could thank her....

That's sad about the sofa. I'm sorry.