Thursday, September 29, 2011

Thursday's Bedtime Thoughts







  • When I leave my day job tomorrow I go to a night shift hospice case. Yeah, I pretty much work 24 on and 24 on.

  • Oddly, I'll be caring for the same patient I had last weekend.

  • It was a miracle he made it through my last shift with him. The spouse was upset I would not be coming back that night. I didn't think it could matter since he might only live a few hours after I left. As I write this he has had nothing to eat or drink since the 15th. I'm not reluctant to go back- they need someone good and responded well to me, but in a sense the case will interfere with my mojo. One of the things that make me a decent hospice nurse is my ability to detach. They die- I walk out. Yes, I think about memorable patients. I've come to love plenty of them- and told them so, but they are not a weight around my neck- I detach.

  • A friend invited me to an event where former GF would surely be recently. He indicated he would understand for my sake if I didn't want to be there. People process things wrong too often. No, I wouldn't have gone out of respect for her since I was the bad guy, but at the same time I don't have a guilty conscience.

  • She and other women are fascinated by former spouse and try to extract information out of me about her like a friendly, but aggressive KGB agent- the pleasant-ish interactions that come before the waterboarding or whatever. "Oh, so was she ______ or ______?" "No" I say. "Well, you said _______ No, that's not what I said. Well, maybe I was putting words in your mouth but, It doesn't sound like you're very angry with her or hate her! I need a bunch of anger to carry around like I need a hole in the head and anyway, the opposite of love is not hate..."

  • Jedi mind tricks

  • I could have picked up Zac tonight, but did not. I regret it already.

  • Seether Fake It

  • Good night world, wherever you are. I love you in spite of yourself.

3 comments:

RPM said...

I feel your pain on the ex inquisition. They want to know what was wrong in the old one so they can "fix" it in this one.

I'm in a little different position being a widower, so to speak. They want to know what worked. That really doesn't translate.

el chupacabra said...

R- You're right man. I also think there is a test component to it as well. Especially since they'll needle you for info when they know you're not in the mood for it. They want to see what comes out to see if you are still hung up.

an Donalbane said...

Kinda reinforces my aversion to answering those 'lots-o-minnows' ads.

As if life wasn't already complicated enough.