Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sunday's Summary






  • I stepped in to cover a patient for last night only. This morning I had to call the family whom I'd never met to tell them the patient had expired. That is always viewed as a bit of a bummer, but it just goes with the territory.

  • The family had left instruction to play several religious music CDs around the clock. Seeing a Bible at the bedside I opened it and read to him as he was getting ready to give it up. When the family got there I told them what I had read and the song that was playing as he died. They burst into sobs. "Was that passage marked? "No, it was not" I replied. "I read that to him last night before I left. It was the last thing I thought of before I went to sleep" one of the daughters said. " Are You Washed In The Blood? was his favorite hymn his whole life."

  • I don't care what your beliefs are (or lack therof) but I promise you, after being present for a few hundred deaths I can always guess the nature of the expiring/expired persons sprirtuality based on the response of their loved ones.

  • I came home and slept like a baby all day- I never sleep well.

  • Recently I met a guy from Liberia. It's such a shame that he would have to be impressed with my knowledge of a country whose history is so entwined with our own. Although arguably we were slow to respond, it's good to know during their last troubles we were widely seen as a real help and we're viewed favorably there. An understanding of our relationship with Liberia will go a long way toward an understanding of America in general and how we treat our less fortunate allies who may not have much to offer in return and how we deal with embarrassments from our past.

  • Look it up- I'll wait.

  • "What's wrong with guacamole?' she asked. "There's nothing right about it." I responded.

  • I had a very decent bacon cheeseburger from Wendy's for breakfast. The fries were fresh made just for little ole me.

  • Why would we have to tell people to cut ketchup from a hamburger?! Yuck. Ketchup is for potato products only.

  • I woke up this morning and there's band members all over the living room- on the floor, the couch and both recliners. They better remember me when they hit the big time! The first text I received this morning.

  • Metric- Gold Guns Girls

  • Good night world- wherever you are. I'm going to sack out.

1 comment:

an Donalbane said...

Dude, have you seen a doctor? (Hobson: And has he seen you?") No likey the guacamole?

That just ain't right...