Friday, May 1, 2009

Fridays Dispatch






  • "This is a lovely king-size leather bed from Restoration Hardware which we paid just over $4,000 including shipping & tax... Our 'designer' says it's got to go and be replaced with a four-poster." craigslist ad


  • I've been looking for cheap furniture for my new house.


  • I don't even know who you are but, I hate your guts.


  • Would like to learn how to build a rocking chair and I probably will soon (at least try).


  • Bought 22 movies for 60 bucks at a pawnshop today. Somebody must have switched over to Blu Ray and sold 2- 300 to the shop (all sort of same type, excellent condition, some still have the guys name on the back.)


  • Remember when if you did business with a pawnshop it was about a step up from conspiring in an organized crime deal? It's so widely understood they're a place for deals now, I routinely see stuff selling for well over what you could buy it new.


  • Your shopping hint for the day: when doing business with pawnshops and want to buy jewelry- knock at least 30% off the price and make an offer.


  • There was an old code on their stocks price tags no longer in use you could use to figure out how much a lot of shops had in the item. It went like this: MARYLOUISE- M was one, then all the way up to E as zero with X as a decimal point. AEXEE would mean they had 20 dollars in the item. (20.00)


  • It's been 15+ years since I've thought about that but, it was something like that and back in the day I could read them faster than the workers. To get the deal you had to let them make at least about 15%.


  • I've never pawned anything in my life though.


  • I think I've mowed my lawn 4 times already this year and I've yet to put out fertilizer.


  • There's a battery powered riding mower out now.


  • I'm not even sure how I ended up with the pic of the woman above but, isn't she pretty and intriguing?

  • I think maybe she's the ultra rich, non crazy, no baggage having, island, giant ranch, giant yacht and and Learjet owning, my kids adoring, Sunday School teaching, Kama Sutra devotee-ing, sex crazed woman who sent me an email telling me of her infatuation with me and requesting a meeting.

  • If it is- write me back honey, my computer crashed and I lost your information.

8 comments:

The Accomplice said...

I bet those movies are stolen. I have worked a lot of burglaries where movies were stolen.

Who do you hate? That was such randomness.

el chupacabra said...

Acco- I guess I didn't pull that off- moving soon so looking for cheap furniture (and it will have to be CHEAP). Stumbled across the ad mentioning the advice of their "designer" and well, being able to pay 4,000 dollars for a bed?
My car cost 1100.00! So I was playfully saying I hated anyone who could do all that.

On the movies- I would really bet in this case though the ID was checked for those movies and everything panned out- the names are on stickers that could have easily been removed

The Accomplice said...

I got my furniture off craigslist. I spent $350.00 for the couch and love seat. Very nice.

MarmiteToasty said...

LOL@hate your guts.... I would LOVE a huge bed, mine alas is a little iron and brass old victorian jobbie....

I did buy a brand new sofa and chair 3 years ago.... thats HUGE, it was the first ever new sofe I have ever owned LOL... it comes with a story, maybe I will Twaddle about the tears behind that one day..

Almost everything in my little house is old stuff, me old pew and church table in me kitchen, me old welsh dresser... I honestly think looking around my little house that the only thing besides me lads beds and my mattress that is new in this house is me sofe....

Love you got the films as cheap as chips.... I did buy some childrens videos (yes videos) in a charity shop in town last week for only 10p each LOL.... now thats cheap... and they was disney films..

I remember the prawn ;) shop in town as a kid, not going in it but walking under the 3 brass balls that use to hang outside and thinking I hope they dont fall on me head (fanks for bringing back that memory)..

I bought a mower today, and yes it was new, and also the first new mower Ive ever bought, but I nearly killed myself last week with out old one... electric, water, bare wires and me dont mix well :).. but I only have a little lawn..

We do not have a rocking chair but we have a beautiful rocking horse..

Oh and ask that bird in the photo is she has a bruvver going spare LOL

x

YM said...

make that two bruvvers

el chupacabra said...

Acco- thanks again for mentioning the post wasnt so clear- do want to make sense when trying to express myself here. Craigslist? Qualified greatness. Never fail to find what I need or get rid of something I don't but, you have to wade through some craziness.

Marmi- Hey. You know the 3 ball symbol I'm pretty sure originated in England and is very old.

I worked to get to the point where I had a 1 acre lawn and then thought,"Good grief- what was I thinking?"

Yeah, I bet that lady has good genes (along with everything else)

My Queen! Hi. You want two of them? My oh my. Oh, one to add to Marmis? OK- get right on that!

MarmiteToasty said...

:) when I say old stuff I dont mean tat LMFAO........ and hey.... Ive worked since I was 12 to get to where I am today..... and that includes raising 4 sons completely financially and emotionally on me own (and I means on me own) for the past 8 or so years..... so my little bit of lawn is a meadow of pure golden buttercups..... I owe nuffin, I stand tall and proud of how I got here.... chicken shit and all :)

And if I sold up and moved to the states tomorrow, I could live my dream.... but, but.... b u t..

x

MarmiteToasty said...

I think you'll find it pawnbrokers actually started first in Italy..

But us Brits soon caught on to it... do you have this old childrens rhyme in doodleland?

POP GOES THE WEASEL


All around the mulberry bush,
The monkey chased the weasel.
The monkey thought 'twas all in fun.
Pop! goes the weasel.


A penny for a spool of thread,
A penny for a needle.
That's the way the money goes.
Pop! goes the weasel.

Up and down the City Road,
In and out of the Eagle,
That's the way the money goes.
Pop! goes the weasel.


Half a pound of tuppenny rice,
Half a pound of treacle,
Mix it up and make it nice,
Pop! goes the weasel.

Pop means "to pawn," and is still common slang today in some areas. Weasel is cockney rhyming slang for coat (weasel and stoat = coat).

The City Road is a main road leading from London's eastern suburbs to the center of London's business district and the Eagle is a tavern on that road.

Tupenny rice is rice that costs "tuppence" or two pennies (plural of penny) per pound.

I remember this as a child and my lads all were sung it when little...

x