Thursday, April 30, 2009

Pabulumary Ponderings



  • The above is an Asian dish of beetles and a sauce.


  • I would starve to death first, which would be true for most westerners and even a lot of Asians. When they show people from other countries eating gastronomic nightmares such as this picture them being like calf fries in the US or Marmite in England ; )- yes, a lot of people eat them but, a whole lot more don't.


  • PS forget the notion of A person will eat anything if they're hungry- it's not true- people have always died from starvation or related diseases in confinement or survival environments because they won't eat unpalatable things while others around them survive. It would be more true to say people will eat a lot of things they never thought they would but, that's kind of a boring truism.


  • I get known (which I hate) at work or other circles for liking to try strange types of foods. I also get known for being able to handle disgusting tasks without tossing my cookies (I just take the gross thing and think of the few good memories I have of my marriage wad them up together into a little ball and push them down into a place where I can never touch them again and forget about them.)


  • Man, that was a long parenthetical thought.


  • Anyway, this leads to Vietnamese friends bringing pickled embryonic duck eggs to work for me to try, redneck friends and family members offering me fried testicles, Mexican friends offering stews made of guts and offers to have dinner with African families that there is no telling what you're eating AND where on earth would you get that in America anyway?


  • Although, I love chorizo and yes, I know what it's made of.


  • I try new things that seem appealing to me- not things that will pose a challenge getting past my gag reflex.

  • The men of The Corp Of Discovery (otherwise erroneously known as The Lewis And Clark Expedition) ate 9 pounds of meat per man per day (I think that's about half a stone marmi.)

  • Ughh


  • Ever wonder why all (it seems) Chinese meat dishes are spicy, sweet, heavily sauced, smoked or otherwise crazily flavorful? It's because for most of their history the average person got by on very small amounts so it was a big deal when they had it to prepare. Since their industrial revolution I don't know if that has changed though.

  • Also oddly (to me) I think I get known for eating a lot. This is really strange since I normally only eat one meal and then some kind of snack per day. Maybe the one meal seems large-ish and if people have lunch with me they assume I eat that way three times a day.

  • Saw a truism/challenge the other day that I will never forget: At least once in your life you should kill, prepare, cook and eat your own food.

5 comments:

The Accomplice said...

I like trying new foods too but bugs are crossing the line.

MarmiteToasty said...

I ate a huge white grub once with big biting mouth on a school survival camp... I found it and told the 13 year olds that it was edible..... go on then miss, some little sod said, if its edible 'eat it'.... dam and bugger LOL.... so I did.... I got well loads of school cred about that, I was the talk of the playground lol.... wow, did you know Jacob's mum ate a real live wiggly grub... I was their hero.... but, what they didnt see was me walk behind the bush, not to have a wee, like I said, but to puke me guts up LOL....

I did see a telly programme on china and them eating domestic cats, its what they do, its their culture, so be it, but what they didnt have to do was grab the alive cat and throw it into a pot of boiling water to de-fur it and then drag it out sometimes still alive... I cried... for 2 days... everytime I thought about it..

LOL@marmite in your list..

I would eat anything if it meant staying alive or not...I like you can set my brain to think of something more enjoyable and roll it in flour in my head and gobble it up.... and even me twat neighbour might look like a tasty burger if I was starving lol

I did that once at a funeral... as they carried me best matie into the church, I had to tell myself that it was just workmen carrying in the new church pews, cos I knew if I thought about my friend shut up in that box then I would of lost it...

You should see if you can buy 'black pudding' in the states which is sausage made of pigs blood.... I of course can not have it as I am highly allergic to any pork product.. but my lads LOVE it lightly fried...

7 lb would be half a stone ;)

16 oz = 1 lb
14 lb = 1 stone

there endith your maths lesson of the day...

Me and me matie love going to the chinky shop in town they have all sorts of strange foods lol and in the freezer they have frozen ducks feet and frozen chickens feet.. what the hell does one do with those..

I apologise in advance for my long waffling post.... what is it over here that makes me waffle on lol

x

Anonymous said...

You are SO funny. I love the way you write,will you marry me?
please!

YM said...

I have tried the pictured dish. It tastes like chicken, but it doesn't feel like chicken going down.

That was a lie. The thought of knowingly swallowing a bug is enough to make me hurl.

Anonymous said...

Several years ago we took some city board and council members up to Tioga for barbecue.

One of the council members was originally from up north, so we asked him if he'd like some calf fries. Shoulda seen the look on his face when we, uh, told him the truth.

Being good sports, though, we also each ate one.