Thursday, April 9, 2009

Dream Weaver Missives



  • Last night was a night of, I mean for dreams. I'm so worn out, they went on all night- crazy.

  • My most vivid wartime dreams? Oddly, although I've read very little about the period the most striking are set in WWI. Sometimes very real, detailed and terrifying. Also, oddly satisfying because I seem to interact with the soldiers and help them- they look at me like someone finally understands.

  • I dream alot about FT. Wolters in Mineral Wells TX. I don't know why, always have. It was a place of good times, growth and great friendships but, the same could be said for FT. Hood TX and I prepared for my war there and spent much more time there.

  • Didn't have dreams of falling when I was a kid much- I would dream of jumping over something and gravity loses its control over me and my body would shoot straight up and I'd watching the world get smaller, then pass through the clouds then feeling cold and my chest tightening as I go into subspace...

  • When I dream of FT Wolters there's often an odd mix of WWII era equipment, uniforms, vernacular and practices coupled with same of modern era. There is always a mix of people I've actually served with in the past and historical figures. The dreams always seem very long and detailed and I'll even resume them if I wake up temporarily. We seem to be preparing for a world war.

  • Audy Murphy did his basic training there and he would cross my mind often as we practiced patrols and set up camp near Engineer Lake which I would have first heard about in his autobiography.

  • I never have dreams about my marriage.

  • Rarely have dreams about my children but, when I do they are very sweet and satisfying.

  • Still have dreams about showing up to class in my underwear!

  • Good grief

  • Worse though? I dream I show up for a college class on the day of finals and no one had told me to prepare. I break out into a sweat and feel like I can't breathe... I wake up thrashing and screaming.

  • Sometimes I dream I'm on a motorcycle and everything is tinted in that dreamlike, soft sparkly look you see on well, dream sequences. They go on forever and I can smell the flowers, fresh air and oddly just a whiff of exhaust and leather from my jacket as I slow down for curves. Sometimes I'm watching myself sometimes it's first person. I can look around as much as I want and never wad the bike up in a fence. I can even look down and marvel at how my boot looks as the pavement rushes by under it and see it's reflection in the crankcase chrome. When I see myself from an external perspective I look so happy I nearly glow.

  • I think my brain provides that one for me when I really deserve/need it- a treat.

8 comments:

YM said...

maybe when you have vivid dreams of times past you are having memories from past lives.

MarmiteToasty said...

As a kid I use to have the same recurring dream for years, in our kitchen we had a pantry and in my dream there was a strange creature that lived there, it had legs like a human but the top half of it was a pure white alsation dog, like a wolf....

I can only think that she dream came about cos in me mums bathroom where was a plastic fake roman LOL bathsalts container, which was blue and had raised images of half a creature that had 4 legs like in the lion the witch and the wardrobe (but this was before that time) and a torso of a man with horns....

Even though my creature in my dreams that lived in our pantry didnt have horns it was just a pure white alsation.....

The strangest thing was, years later when we had packed up to move I was sitting out on the front step when this bloke walked by walking a PURE WHITE BLOODY ALSATION dog..... I almost peed me knickers....

blinmey, sorry, just rambling lol

ps........ the picture you have used is gorgeous..

x

el chupacabra said...

My queen- thinking about that one.

Marmi- no surprise you would have the funniest/oddest dream! Very spooky fruition as well.

Anonymous said...

From what you have been through the past couple of weeks the rest was well deserved!!

The Accomplice said...

I used to have very violent dreams. They have seemed to fade away. War and genocide. CRAZY since I have never been in the armed forces.

el chupacabra said...

Ano @ 12:24 your right but, it was worth it!

Hey Acco. I know it seems like the most vivid/frequent etc. would follow our real lives in at least some aspects. Bet you could handle yorself in a war though.

an Donalbane said...

Ft. Wolters? Wow, I thought that was closed an eon ago...

Have never been on the property, but led some Scout hikes near the perimeter with MWSP.

el chupacabra said...

Donald -you can still drive around- security a little tighter and stay away from the prison. The post is actually quite lively for training these days.