Thursday, April 16, 2009

Brittania Missives




















  • A recent commenter on here made me start thinking about jolly old England.


  • There may be example of a parent country and former colony becoming as good allies as we but, I'm not aware of it. When the world devolves into a bloodbath quest for survival of civilization, whether it's against zombies or religious nuts- we'll be standing there shoulder to shoulder.


  • A funny thing historians have sometimes pointed out is how useless/senseless the War of 1812 was- they missed the whole point: it took that to convince the King the US really was for better or worse independent- get over it. Until that war England thought the result of the Revolution was basically a fluke. I think our relations would have solidified over the years and we would have become allies but, I think it really was necessary to keep the war for indepence from being an unresolved sore spot from the Crown on down to the general population.


  • There's one thing that surprised me I learned fairly recently- in the years leading up to the Revolution even run of the mill Brits but, especially those in higher English society not just the Empires leadership were hot for the colonials to be put in their place.


  • What do English schoolchildren call the Revolution?


  • A woman can be a pig or a man an ugly slob but, put an English accent on them? Whoa baby, the average American can't get enough of them. Some of the ones I know continue to play off their accents and lay it on thick even after being here for 20-30 years.


  • Had a friend once who could work the girls with an English (or sometimes Australian) accent like nothing you've ever seen before.


  • He was born in Fort Worth Texas.


  • Can name plenty of contributions of English culture to the world but, can't name a single thing about their tastes that appeals to me and that I have or would apply to my life.


  • Jaguar cars in the right models and years are pretty awesome though and I do have an open mind about the culture in general.


  • Need to learn more though and would love to visit. Had a friend years ago from Hampshire and he hung out with me in Texas and I was supposed to go visit him but, you know how those things go...


  • At least I'm pretty sure it was Hampshire: he called it Hamps or Hants? when he would get on a roll telling stories about home.


  • He went to school in high school to be a groundsmen on golf courses. One day we were out on my motorcycle and I took him out to look at a rich guys private zoo in Decatur TX. We turned near the golf course he said," STOP the bike, stop stop stop!" I obliged and he took off at a dead run toward the groundskeeper (I'll never forget the look on the guys face as he raised the tool he was holding in preparatory self defense) who was at the hole closest to the road and started talking. When he came back he gave me a full rundown of the differences and similarities of our two systems of sod maintenance- very interesting.


  • Not


  • We had pancakes one morning. Bleary eyed he said,"Is it pancake day?" Evidently they have a pancake day over there. I said,"Dude, EVERY day is pancake day here!"

  • Another memory of Adam- 100mph on my KZ1000 motorcycle and him pounding me on the back shouting,"Woo Hoo- Unbelievable. This is brilliant, it's bloody brilliant!"


  • Allow me a brief heresy: not a great Beatles fan.


  • Still remember exactly what I was doing and where I was when I first heard the Sex Pistols though.


  • I love Brit coms although I plain, flat do not understand Chef although I tried when it first came out. All he did was scream at, berate and belittle his staff and others- didn't seem funny. I'm pretty sure it was meant to release some social tensions for guilty whites and self conscious blacks because he was black and raged constantly against a largely white cast of characters but, I'm not sure.


  • Red Dwarf, Black Adder, Waiting For God, Fawlty Towers = genius.


  • The more shaky the science or historical accuracy of an educational program- the more like they are to use an English narrator.


  • That country will essentially be the first modern, civilised nation to fall to Islam and there is nothing that can (or will?) be done to prevent that.

  • "The British version of the product is a sticky, dark brown paste with a distinctive, powerful flavour, which is extremely salty and savoury with umami qualities, somewhat comparable to soy sauce. This distinctive taste is reflected in the British company's marketing slogan: "Love it or hate it." It is similar to the Australian Vegemite and Swiss Cenovis." wikipedia definition of marmite

  • Oh my. See what I mean about their tastes and my lack of adoption thereof?


  • Thanks for inspiration Marmsie. You were a muse for a day even if never before or again.

8 comments:

YM said...

Cool observations.

My best friend is from Essex, England. She met her husband when he was working for NATO in Europe and moved here with him. She says she gets tired of people telling her how much they love hearing her speak. But, she does use it to her advantage.

Marmite smells nasty.

MarmiteToasty said...

:) I will be back after me dinner to re-read and comment proper lol

By the way, I am to from Hampshire (Hants) right smack bang in the middle of the south coast.. and I to am not really or ever have been a fan of the beatles...

And if someone had lived in the states for nigh on 20 or so years then there is NO way there accent would be as strong as it was when they first arrived....

me, well I aint got an accent....

I will be back, but need to feed people seeing as I have been out all day since 9.30 this morning and its now a little after 6 :)

slater

x

MarmiteToasty said...

I think we let you win that war so that we didnt have to for the next 200 years hear ya moaning and groaning and whining lmfao..

Doodles like English accents? and we like america have so many different accents.... us southerners dislike the northern accents and vice a versa... everything is more expensive down south, yet parts of the north is the most beautiful in the whole of England....

Our hampshire accent can be a little farmerish lol.... we dont pronounce our 'h' at the beginning of most words and many of the 't' sounds get forgottan about to :).. but then of course, I dont have an accent anyways....

A matie did say, come to doodleland Mel, you would be snapped up in a shake of a cats tail cos of your accent..... I said, then I would rather me alone then just for someones want of me accent and not for me..

What? you cant think of a single thing about our tastes... then laddy you so aint tasted my cooking lol or strolled around our historical buildings etc.... :)

Wondering what part of Hampshire you matie came from..

and many of our british shows are genius.... but then I also love some of yours..

You might be right on the Islam bit, we are fighting against it with all we are worth, just as we fought for the right to continue to use pounds and ounces along side grams and kilograms in our markets...

Marmite is my passion and it is nuffin whatsoever the same as that aussie vegimite... may the ground open and swallow you up for saying such a thin..

I have never ever inspired anyone before :) nor been a muse :) so fanks for that....

x

LandShark 5150 said...

I grew up listening to the fab four and will always be a fav. I was lucky enough to see the Pistols at the Long Horn Ballroom in Dallas in 77. What a memory -- the crowd expected regular country boot sliding night. But us few, us lucky few who knew better, got the memory of a life time. Saw Sid sling that big beat up bass off his shoulder and lay open a goat rapers chin with it. They didn't finish the show, but man the 7 bucks I paid was worth all of 700 in today market to exerience it all over again.

el chupacabra said...

Marmi- LOT to think about there- glad to hear Brittania won't fall without a fight. When the bullets actually start flying I'll be there. Anyway, what did Winston himself say? "You, can always count on the yanks to do the right thing- after they've tried everything else"! I have no idea what part of Hants Adam was from- need to try and look him up someday.

Sharkie- I had NO idea the Pistols played TLHB, that is crazy. Wouldn't take that memory from you to trade places, no, wait- I WOULD, sorry.

el chupacabra said...

My queen- Thanks dear. Never had the pleasure of being anywhere near marmite as far as I know. Let's keep it that way.

MarmiteToasty said...

*fingers in ears* not listening to the slagging off of marmite..... :)

Every time Ive been in the States Ive been asked so many questions cos of where Im from lol.... one daft old bat asked if I knew the queen.... so I just said she was me auntie.... and she bloody believed me..... ya pay these checkout girls peanuts and you get monkeys....

The funniest was whilst in Wisconson in Reedsburg, one woman in a shop said 'oh, your like one of those real english people off the TV, I have never seen a real one before'...... LMAO... ok, in the end me and me doodles maties thought sod it and just went with the flow whilst I was there, and it was just soooooo funny lmfao..

x

Anonymous said...

I will not concur on it. I assume nice post. Specially the appellation attracted me to study the intact story.