Monday, May 25, 2009

More Memorial and Miscellanious Missives



  • "I think he needs a tom-tom on that thing he's been criss-crossing the state for at least 7 or 8 years."

  • Comment on Liberally Lean regarding the man who pushes the wheeled cross around the state (world?)

  • Made me laugh.

  • I slept from 9 o'clock last night to 10 this morning. I'm not even sure how many hours that is without calculating it- I've rarely had to relate that feat in my life.

  • Crazy dreams all night: a shotgun that converts to different calibers and gauges... and an umbrella, a walking stick and I don't know what else in a fancy case.

  • Plus 250,000 dollars cash that different criminal gangs and individuals felt entitled to.

  • One gang was Amazonian lesbians.

  • Me in the middle of all this nonsense.

  • With an old, dead best friend (who was starting to decompose) driving me around in an old, giant Oldsmobile to help me escape.

  • Me at one point sticking a knife in one temple and holding a pistol to the other of some dude.

  • Oh, and Corey Feldman in a trailer house hanging out with me.

  • I'm more worn out than when I laid down last night.

  • It seems more people genuinely get Memorial Day than Christmas.

  • Maybe?

  • There is nothing better than a nap in a recliner with a little baby on your chest.

  • A couple of people whose clarity of thought and writing ability I'm envious of love this blog and some hold it in some esteem.

  • For some reason.

  • I rarely dream about war- mine or others. A common Iraq war dream: I'm riding gun (machinegunner on top of truck) and it's dark I can smell the mixture of good/ bad smells I think you could find only in Iraq and at least- only in war. Burning trash, burning pavement, burning jet fuel, burning ______, dirty bodies, gunpowder. Then the fresh smell of the lake as wind blows across it, same through crop fields and orchards, the muddy but, somehow clean smell after the rare rain, the smell of deodorant when the squad leader down below adjusts his body armor, the smell of Copenhagen when Blake the driver takes a dip of snuff.

  • Yes, we were just as likely to use first names as rank and last name.

  • We are dead tired after a 6 hour patrol and manning a checkpoint for at least 2 hours. This is when it's the most dangerous- just dark, tired, anxious to be home, hungry, lonely, driving on literally the most dangerous stretch of road in the world (the insurgents don't bother digging new holes- they place the bombs in the old ones).

  • The tension is palpable.

  • As we pass the last checkpoint and know we are probably going to live another day.

  • I drop down into the crew compartment ands say in my cheeriest, most nonchalant tone, " So, this blond walks into a bar..."

  • Before I can finish everyone busts out into raucous laughter and slaps me on the knees and side and say,"Kev, you alright man- what would we do without you?"

3 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...

You must of so needed the sleep.... I sorry it was disected by such strange dreams...

I once slept for 23 hours LOL I was on a camp with my sons school, it was a survival camp, and I was going through a very sticky patch in life and was exhausted... the teachers/friends that were running the camp, pitched my tent in the far corner of the woods far away from everyone else, knowing they would not call me in the morning so that I could for the first time in probably 5 years, sleep until my body needed to wake... and thats what I did.... them buggers :) for some reason I sleep better on the floor in a tent out in the middle of no where then I do in my own lonely bed LOL..

One of the best feelings is sleeping with a child snuggled upon ones chest.... what I would give to have those times back..

Im sure there are many many that love this here blob... I know it was a fine day the day I stumbled through your blob door.....

And your maties were right... what would they do without you...... and what would so many others whose heart and soul you touch do without you in their lives....

Tiz been a glorious bank holiday monday here, but its hot and sweltering now and me thinks a storm is a brewing....

x

YM said...

gun in your dream = Swiss army shotgun?

I can only imagine the camaraderie and brotherhood a soldier feels for those he serves with. That story was an excellent example.

You do write well and I love reading your blog.

el chupacabra said...

marms- good to know people at some level were watching out for you in that patch oof your life. Also, i want to do one of those survival type camps.

my queen- swiss army gun- exactly good one. thanks for your encouragement