Monday, December 23, 2013

General Observations, Flashbacks, Recipes, Memories and Pre Christmas Musings You Know- Life And Stuff

Warren Earl Vaughn Childress TX native. He was murdered and eaten by Japanese soldiers after his capture on Ichi Jima.
  • In our society if a low life schmuck suicides the news will be, " So and so killed himself or even, So and So shot himself in the head ..." If it is a high toned society type it will be, " So and so took his own life " or " died by his own hand " or " chose to end his own life. "
  • Reality TV shows are a good representation of all that is wrong with us.
  • I cooked a very passable rib eye and steamed green beans for supper this evening.
  • Well, since you asked; Let a 1 to 1 1/2 inch steak warm to room temp and season both sides with pepper, chili powder, and Worcestershire sauce. Dice up garlic over it. Heat a skillet medium to medium-hot.  Drop a tablespoon of butter and olive oil in pan. Add steak as soon as foam settles. Cook for 6-7 minutes a side. After it is to your taste remove and wrap in foil with all the juices and garlic that were left in pan and let stand for 5 minutes before you devour.
  • FG is alseep on the couch and her dumb cat is asleep on the bench in front of the fireplace. I'm giving the remake of Fright Night a chance under the Xmas tree. A perfect- perfect evening.
  • I think I've done pretty well for everybody this Christmas.
  • In Iraq we ate a lot- it was a social thing and a personal one to perk you up and combat boredom. As a consequence, myself and others got to where if we were slightly hungry we felt like we were going to starve to death. While a bunch of guys lost weight and got in good shape I heard it said it was the first war ever fought in the history of the world where guys got too fat to stay in the service.
  • Actually, I was the one to say that- feel free to use it, just credit me in your bibliography.
  • Toward the end of the battle of Stalingrad a group of homeless civilians were allowed into a gym where the Red Army had for some reason been storing scrap metal. A small boy, ( I don't recall-was he about 8 or 9? ) immediately started climbing a rope hanging from the middle of the ceiling. After he got up to a certain point he fell onto the scrap metal below. His screams faded to whimpers then to moans before without anybody attempting to comfort him he died. 
  • It has been years since I read about that story but it still bothers me and I'm not exactly sure why.

2 comments:

RPM said...

You lost me as soon as you said "steak" and "skillet" in the same sentence. You can not properly cook a steak in a pan. I can help you with this.

The perfect steak:
1" Boneless Ribeye (16oz)
Pinch sea salt
Dash fresh ground pepper
Dash lemon pepper

Grill over open flame 7-1/2 minutes per side.

Let the steak rest 5 minutes before serving. Do not "gild the lily" (paint with butter).

an Donalbane said...

Dang! Y'all are making me hungry...