Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Wednesday's Digressions



  • The 2014 Z28 sounds awesome but my American dream car right now would be a CTS-V Stage 4 D3 modded Caddy. 750 hp and it would ride like well, a Cadillac.
  • The cat has been licking himself for most of the past hour. It reminds me of those old signs, "Clean up after yourself. The only self cleaning thing around here is the cat!"
  • A lot of Pink Floyd's music is really awful, most of it actually I guess but holy smokes their good stuff is like magic.
  • The people who scream the loudest daring us to compare ourselves to the UK on issues related to guns and the death penalty etc. sure can shrink up it seems when others want to use Britain as example of what happens when you create a welfare state.
  • No, I am not pro death penalty mostly because it is counterproductive, unfair and basically really dumb.
  • It wouldn't bother me a bit if I never had another headache.
  • I think often about a refugee patient from Sudan who came into the US years ago. He had about 5 kids and worked like a dog at 2 different jobs trying to make it here. He was a teacher I think in Sudan. He was nice, funny and smart and carried the weight of the world on his shoulders. I don't know if I ever did anything for him other than hiring him as an interpreter but I hope he made it. He was a sweet guy whom I saw being just crushed and there was little I could do for him.
  • Another associated flashback: There was a girl who came in from Bosnia who was fluent in Serbo Croation, German and English. I loved talking to her in German and she thought it was cool I could speak it a little. I told her to come back the next day and I would have her sign a contract to be an interpreter and interview her. The interview was mostly to educate what I expected, general privacy policies and give her the medical terms I would use the most often in encounters so she could look them up if she needed. It was not intended to be anything official. I would have taken care of it right then while her hair was up and she was in her sweats but I needed to get the contract from another office and I was pressed for time. She came in the next day in the shortest dress I have ever seen- literally. There must have been some laws against it somewhere. It was white and the hem terminated just below her bottom.  She pulled her chair away from the desk and did her best Basic Instinct impersonation. She was absolutely beautiful and was totally aware of the power she possessed in that little dress.
  • And I was an oak.
  • Sugarcult Pretty Girl.
    One of the Sharkarosa exhibits is named after a boy from the area.

    I think this would be called a tug but I'm not sure. Vehicles like this used in tight shipping and receiving areas to move trailers around are called yard dogs. It could also be correctly called a tractor I suppose since it pulls other objects.

    Pattern on a cross between a horse and a zebra- A zorse is a zorse of course...

    Pere David deer. These are extinct in the wild in China, although there are some in preserves. The last wild ones  were shot out and ate by soldiers during some troubles I believe in the early 1900s.

    Mooooo

    These things with a cup of coffee or a glass of milk are like crack. I don't even kid myself when I reach for these in the store- I automatically buy 2-3 boxes.

5 comments:

an Donalbane said...

The only self cleaning thing around here is the cat!

Because it can...

I am not pro death penalty...

I see lots of PDP folks decry the expense to room & board 'lifers', and remember what an old neswpaper publisher friend told me about the enormous expense of prosecuting a capital case. Partly because of that, I am semi-pro death penalty, because there are some acts, crimes, so horrific/egregious/heinous that justice simply demands that punishment.

However, I don't have any bloodlust in my support of it, as it must be judiciously used only where there is an ironclad case. Gacy, Dahmer, McVeigh - I think it would be an insult to their victims' memories not to receive death.

And I was an oak.

LoL.

Pere David deer

Looks tasty...


el chupacabra said...

Hey Don- my guess is we think alike-ish on the DP.

Hey, I really WAS an oak! Lulz

I said the same thing to friend-girl regarding the deer. Well, I think I actually said, Delicious.
My ribs are still sore...

an Donalbane said...

I missed one:

A lot of Pink Floyd's music is really awful, most of it actually I guess but holy smokes their good stuff is like magic.

Agreed. Maybe it comes with the prog-rock territory. I can't say I've ever listened to a PF album full through (well, maybe the Animals 8-track...). I sorta like Time, Eclipse, and Brain Damage, Welcome to the Machine; very fond of Wish You Were Here, Hey You, and Have a Cigar; and deliriously fond of Comfortably Numb, which I absolutely believe is Waters'/Gilmour's crowning achievement.

Cattastroficka said...

Yeah, I have to agree about PF having some sucky music.


Oh wait, I meant The Eagles.

Silly me. ;)

an Donalbane said...

:-(