Thursday, April 4, 2013

Hobo Symbology

I was a kid when I first heard of hobo symbols. Although they would be used most often on walls, fences, mail boxes etc. to give info about specific places I saw on the back of our towns city limit sign the circle with an X meaning a good place for a handout. I got curious about hobos after seeing some standing in a freight car as it passed slowly in front of our car while we waited at the crossing, I waved- they waved back. My mom told of them coming to her house because they knew she was an easy mark and would help them out although they would have had to do some weeding or other chores first- knowing mom. Was their house marked with hobo symbols?

Interestingly another strong memory from my childhood also involves the railroad although at the other end of the spectrum. Me and another boy were throwing snowballs at a train as it was stopping to unload grain at Cocanhauer Feed in Decatur. Suddenly the train stopped it then started backing up to unload but, we just knew it was because we were in trouble for throwing snowballs at the train. The engineer stepped out on the catwalk that runs along the engine while it was still in motion and called us back. We cautiously walked to the engine and he asked if we wanted to come up check out the engine. It was very loud outside the engine when we first climbed up and you could feel the power. Inside it was surprisingly quiet and very warm. They let us operate the controls- actually moving the train back and forth. It was an amazing, unforgettable experience. I wonder if those guys had any idea the impression those 20-30 minutes would leave on me?

How many other people could say at 10 years old they operated a 200 ton diesel locomotive?







No comments: