Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pre Sunday Afternoon Nap Thoughts








  • Zac and I got up early and had pancakes and grilled chicken. He drank chocolate milk. I drank too much coffee. Now that I've quit grinding my teeth, I'm seriously thinking a nap would be pretty awesome.


  • I thought the church building where I attend was built in the late 1800s. When I walked around the corner this morning though I noticed the cornerstone read either 1900 or 1910. It was hard to tell- the inscription was so eroded. That's nice- that sense of historical perspective- an inscription chiseled in marble and in a relatively short time it will be unreadable.


  • Regardless, everybody associated with the construction of that building is long gone.


  • The Bible class I attend is usually great. There's always a lengthy, heartfelt prayer list which is good. Even better is the tears sometimes shed talking about those in need. Maybe better still is the tears people wipe from their eyes laughing about different things. Maybe better yet even is we never start on time and the room buzzes with people getting caught up from the last week.


  • I had to get up and move around this morning and couldn't stay in class and ended up in the auditorium sitting up in the balcony. There was a class for older adults in progress on the ground floor. I couldn't see anyone, but the teacher had a very pleasant sounding voice and was saying a lot of things I needed to hear. It was nice to listen to that disembodied voice and think and pray alone.


  • It's obvious, I'm sure that stained glass artisans any time in the past would have known their work would would be marvelled at for a long time since man has been admiring their work for hundreds and hundreds of years, however I always wonder, what did the man making them expect of his work- of himself? Did he imagine people being awed? It hasn't been that long since the glass was made in the building I was in this morning- who did that work? Could I find out if I wanted?


  • Church buildings should have stained glass.


  • I opened a Bible this morning and the first passage I came to had a list of people going to Hell.


  • My first thought: well, at least I'm not a sorcerer.

1 comment:

an Donalbane said...

On the subject of permanence - I took the younger two kids to Dallas on the TRE last week (sort of an urban adventure).

Reunion Tower was closed for repairs, so we walked over to the site of the old arena. I don' think middle son (a huge Mavs fan) was ever at RA, and as I walked across a grassy field, I stopped and said to him: "We're now standing about 40 feet above center court."

Built during my high school years and already relegated to the scrapyard - how fatuous that we think our worldly creations have any lasting value.

Although, conversely, I still remember being in Rome 1974, my Grandparents having come over to vacation across southern Europe with us - my Granddad sitting down on ancient cobblestones outside of Rome, because it had always been his dream to "sit [his] a$$ on the Appian Way".

Some of man's creations last longer than others.