Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Wednesday's Digressions





  • I have always loved the Wise County Messenger paper. When I was in Germany my mom sent me a subscription. I fairly often received the copy addressed to a soldier also from Decatur in a different unit who I was in the same scout troop with as a boy. The interpretation is someone at the main USAEUR post office recognized the paper as belonging to a guy in 3/11 Armored Cavalry Regiment and sent it to our region where someone remembered a guy in Bad Hersfeld getting the same paper where it went to my squadron where someone knew to send it down to my unit- correct? It seems impossible, but sometimes I'd get it with my name and address and others I'd get it with his name and unit address. I want to bump into him someday and see if he had the same experience and recall.
  • One of my best friends in that unit was a black guy named James Brown (not making that up). He ran the mail room and would read my paper and comment on there not being any black people pictured and tease me about him being the first black person I ever saw without making trips to the deep south on vacation to lynch folks. I told him about knowing lots of black kids growing up and playing football and basketball with them, but yes- we did have to cross the tracks to see each other. When he would find pictures of a black person in my paper I would later get it with the pictures of those people circled in red.
    I never forget a face but in your case I'm willing to make an exception
  • Citizen Cope- Let The Drummer Kick
  • Children if left to their own devices are solar and water powered. It's not even summer yet and I can't keep Zac out of the pool.
  • Zac and are going to build a rocket this year. I bought several kits on clearance a couple of years ago. Chloe and I spent hours building one of them up just right with her choice of colors. I taught her about space travel and aeronautics etc. On its first flight on cue at it's apogee the orange chute popped open and we watched it drift away- never to be seen again.
  • I just read Bradley Manning was sentenced to 35 years with the possibility of parole. My first thought: Well, he butt raped his life but at least he may not die in prison. That is good- good for him. He has a chance at a life. I was then reminded he spent some time in a Marine brig. What were they thinking of doing that to him? That guaranteed petty mistreatment and made criminal abuse very highly likely.
  • One of FG's pictures just won a photo contest. She will say she learned from the best (me) but man, she left me behind talent wise a long time ago.
    Something is wrong with this guy- I mean something is not right with him.

No comments: