Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Wednesday's Digressions

  • Watching The Road makes me want to read the book. I hardly ever read fiction. Holy smokes Viggo Mortenson looks bad in the movie- scary bad.
  • Interestingly, imagining El Paso 50 to 100 years in the future during a visit there was Cormac McCarthy's inspiration for the movie.
  • I think in some movies characters who are going to get killed off early are played by sort of big name or at least recognizable actors so it will be a surprise when they get whacked.
  • After the Ohio kidnapper killed himself in jail I saw headlines that seemed to indicate his death would be one more injustice to his victims and make life even harder as he would no longer be alive to be punished. That doesn't jive with the way most humans brain's work- he is dead so they can literally go on now and heal where they may not have been able to before.
  • I love to build campfires and set in front of them and just watch and think. In my opinion it should be a skill everybody teaches their children and among the first if they spend a lot of time outdoors.
  • True facts about the land snail

2 comments:

Capt. Schmoe said...

"I love to build campfires and set in front of them and just watch and think. In my opinion it should be a skill everybody teaches their children and among the first if they spend a lot of time outdoors"

I taught my kids how to build a campfire, a skill that I learned in the scouts. After they mastered it, they took turns lighting the fire for each night. On their turn, they got one match or the use of a lighter for five seconds.

If they failed in their attempt, the other kid got to step up and complete the task.

They rarely failed, and they still know how to light a fire without the use of an accelerant.

Good times for all.

el chupacabra said...

Hey Cap'n- Thanks, that is a cool idea. With my kids competitiveness though I don't know if that is the greatest idea ever or the worst...

Hope you are well.