Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Wednesday's Digressions

'Merica!
  • Recently a young black man in my office told me the line of work he was in and finding that interesting I asked where he worked and his education level that allowed him to be considered for that important and well paying position. I nearly fell over when he said he only had a high school diploma. He had met a high level manager, impressed him and was given the job. A black guy who doesn't walk around holding his pants up with one hand or speak like he has had a closed head injury in the past can sometimes write his own ticket in this country I think. 
  • Yes, my impression was he totally deserved the job. My impression also was his race played a role in getting that job.
  • A big, scary, crazy  homeless person went nuts in the clinic day before yesterday. I went out and pushed a woman into the secure area to get her away from him and went out to back the cop up as he was arrested. People don't look at you the same after things like that. The aforementioned girl looks at me goo-goo eyed and says, You are my hero. I didn't know what to do. The word was he had a knife. I was asked what I would done if he had try to use it on me. Hurt him was my response.
  • Summer is winding down isn't it?
  • Except for what we call Texas Country new country music is pretty bad. It all sounds the same and it doesn't know what it wants to be- Pop, Hip Hop? It will be the subject of ridicule for this in the future.
  • I was nearly  sideswiped again yesterday by somebody texting in the lane to my right as I passed them in the morning. They barely acknowledged me as I honked and swerved away. They just corrected back into their lane a little and went back to updating their Facebook or whatever- crazy.
  • Use of chemical weapons is not the reason Obama et al want a strike on Syria but I can't discern the political reason. Regardless- what then after that first cruise missile strikes? People were killed- OK that is awful but how many would be killed by the strikes? How many thousands would be killed in the vacuum if Assad falls? Does our government think the Russkies will roll over on this? We have no idea who the opposition really is except for the fact a lot are bad people financed by our ideological enemies and we don't have the best track record of picking winners. Why is this situation different?
  • Anyway, I'm afraid our government is hearing the answers they want to hear to these and other questions while seizing an opportunity to flex their muscles a bit.
  • Vote here to save Graham Drive In Theater by helping them win a digital projector from Honda- it only takes 2 clicks and you don't enter any personal info.
  • Back to Syria: "OBAMA MADE A CLEVER POLITICAL CALCULATION. THE TEA PARTY AND THE GOP IN GENERAL HAD BEEN DEMANDING THAT HE SUBMIT THE SYRIA FILE TO THEM. SO HE OBLIGED THEM. IF THEY SAY ‘NO,’ AS THE BRITISH PARLIAMENT DID, THEN OBAMA IS OFF THE HOOK. IF THEY SAY ‘YES,’ THEN THEY ARE FULL PARTNERS IN ANY FAILURES THAT RESULT. EITHER WAY, THE ISSUE IS TAKEN OFF THE AGENDA OF THE 2016 ELECTION AND DEMOCRATS ARE HELD HARMLESS." from The Elephant Bar. OK, now it all makes a little more sense. Nothing about the Syria strike idea was adding up until I read that.

2 comments:

an Donalbane said...

The other night around bedtime, there was lightning, but no thunder. Daughter became concerned, opining that she thought an intruder was circling the house, with a flashlight (he'd have to have been pretty fast, as you could see flashes to the east, just seconds after those from the west).

Anyhow, I explained that it was lightning. "How do you know that?"
"Because I went outside and saw the lightning."

Still unconvinced, she asked me what would I do if it was an intruder, and he broke in.

"Well, sweetheart, if I thought he was going to harm you, me, or Sienna - I'd shoot him." That seemed to quell her concerns. (Keep in mind that this child is particularly skilled with .22s - she's shot six handguns, and four long guns, in the caliber. As well, she's fired WWII-era MP40 and PPSH subguns, and one shot from my 1911. She wants me to take her hog hunting - I have just the cutest little .243 for the cause.)

Confused by the Syrian mess? The Onion puts it in perspective, I think.

Ron Paul was roundly derided as a nut last election cycle, but there's a lot to be said for a guy that says let's get the heck out of everyone else's business and concern ourselves on what needs to be done within our own borders.

el chupacabra said...

Don- Too many guys miss those opportunities with their daughters. Those always seem to do better at guys with shooting- at least in early stages.
Subguns!?
My eldest shot an M60- when he was 5.
I am not somebody who has to top the other person with a bigger story.
I knew a guy once that was way worse about that than me.
We fear the world will go to heck in a hand basket if we don't mess with it.
Meanwhile in other news- the world is going to heck in a hand basket...
People are so used to hearing doublespeak, PC language and generally looking at things through the wrong filter if Ron Paul told them their foot was on fire they would look down, refuse to see the fire for what it was and burn to death before they listened to that kook-ball.