Tuesday, August 9, 2011

My Town- Weatherford TX A Review Pt 1



    Caption read, Texas Farmer Weatherford 1939. He looks like he was made from the dirt. I bet that dried out old man could work circles around you or I.


  • Bakers Ribs: Very, very good with consistent quality of everything they serve. I think they've broken themselves of the habit, but they used to burn you with poor cuts when you did takeout. I've never eaten one, but their fried pies are supposed to be tumultuous.



  • Home Depot V Lowes: HD used to be the place to be now some of their formerly best employees are burned out and avoid helping people at times. None of Lowes people seem all that knowledgeable though. So it's a tossup with HD probably edging out Lowes. Anyway, Lowes is too bright and shiny for me to be buying hardware from.



  • Simms: During a remodel I broke into some wiring that I knew to be wrong and I was also 99.5% sure I knew the correct way to do it. I had already decided to use Simms so I called and asked, the dude said,"Ha! If you don't know that- you don't need to do the work." I called HD the guy confirmed my suspicions and gave me a couple of pointers and wished me well. The next day I went into Simms to buy some parts. The goob behind the counter in the back looked at me like I was retarded, literally rolled his eyes at me when I interrupted some meeting he was having and said,"Can I help you with something? Ah, no thanks dude- I'll go to Home Depot."



  • I spent 35,000 dollars at Home Depot that year alone.



  • Downtown Cafe: Wide range of food and everything is good and cheap. Service and food always a little better when the manager's motorcycle with the impossibly high ape hanger bars is parked on the sidewalk. At lunch and breakfast rush it's always crazy and can get hot and loud so I go later in morning or after lunch hour. Years ago it was a pharmacy and supposedly the pharmacist killed himself in the basement and so still haunts the place. He's never bothered me though. Look up at the ceiling for the coolest ceiling fans you'll ever see.



  • Davis City Pharmacy: The only game in town as far as I'm concerned. Not in a hurry- tell them so and come back later and next time you'll be worthy of getting bumped ahead in front of hundreds of orders just because you say you need it and will wait. I've never had them mess up a prescription. They've been in business 100 years or something like that.



  • Denny's: A Denny's should be a Denny's, but ours is always a little cleaner and quieter than others I've been in and the food quality is very consistent. Oddly, they've had chronic A/C problems since forever and it can flat burn you out in there at times.



  • Import Auto Masters: I would not let anyone else work on my import cars. I've had them correctly charge me 25% more than an initial estimate from another shop because cheaper repairs would compromise durability of the repair and ride quality and not charge me anything when the car would barely pull itself into the shop and a bad gas cap was freaking the computer out.



  • Parks: Long history of mismanagement, but they're plentiful with lots of activities. There's even a free water park that's very nice. We have a brand new softball complex that is gorgeous.



  • Cops: Plentiful, polite and professional. Due to my job, the fact I drive too fast and mutual friends I've had to interact with them a lot through the years. Occasionally, they get a little speed trap-ish with their motorcycle units, but really- I think they could be a lot worse.



  • Traffic: Oh my God- kill me.

4 comments:

an Donalbane said...

HD v Lowe's? Carter-Ivy.

Man, that was a cool place. A real hardwzre store.

el chupacabra said...

Don- Yep, you're exactly right. That place was awesome.

an Donalbane said...

Oops, guess I shouldn't have been typing so early in the morning...

el chupacabra said...

Ha! I started to say... That place was awezille for shizzle.