Friday, August 19, 2011

Friday's Dispatch








  • The music of today which kids will have in their future to remind them of their past is very sad. The more vapid, unoriginal and vacuous it is- the more successful it will be. A friends teenager was riding in my car recently. When referring to a song playing on the radio I said,"Oh, there's new Lady Gaga." Impressed, she said,"I'm impressed. You listen to Gaga? No," I replied honestly. "How did you know it was her then? It sounds exactly like everything else I've heard them say was hers- except different. Her music is so pervasive I must have heard everything old of hers by just catching it here and there. So, you don't even like her then? No I do not. Why? Because she's awful..."



  • Yeah, it pretty much devolved into a generational culture clash at that point.



  • A recent patients family was pretty severely in a state of denial regarding their impending loss until essentially the moment the patient expired then, they seemed oddly OK.



  • If you loved me, you'd buy me the Encyclopedia Britannica Great Books Of The Western World set of 54 bookesses.



  • At breakfast which I had in my scrubs this morning the cashier said,"Oh, I bet you're ready to hit the bed after a night shift in the ER. No, I do hospice. Oh, you look just like a guy who works in the ER at the hospital." Poor guy I thought. "He's quite a bit shorter though I think, but he does look a lot like you." Poor, poor guy.

4 comments:

Paxford said...

I like you... but 54 volumes worth?!

Let's just stay friends :D

Pax

Kasie said...

I CANNOT STAND GAGA!! BARF!!

Elliot MacLeod-Michael said...

I agree about the state of contemporary music, and it's been that way for awhile. Right now there is some 17-year-old kid who has nostalgia related to the first Nickelback album.
+followed

el chupacabra said...

Paxie- OK- it was worth a try. That set will be my first good thing I do for myself when I get settled into new job.

KC- Hey girl. Her terribleness is terrible.

Elliot- Your're right.