Monday, June 9, 2014

Monday's Missives

  • In the words of Yoda, A burden it is. 
  • I have the house all to myself today (04/05/2014)- no FG and no kids. I miss them all and wish we were out tramping around in the great outdoors somewhere but also I'm thankful for the me time so it is a mixed blessing as it were I s'pose.
  • The Rolling Stones have been on the playlist a lot lately and no one is more surprised than I. It is a totally new discovery as I didn't care for them all that much when I was younger and I can't account for why- they're great.
  • The story of the woman getting 20 years in prison for the morphine overdosing death of her breast feeding baby is odd for multiple reasons. There was testimony the baby had blood levels that would be lethal for an adult. So, after being diluted by the mom's body and passing through her breast milk there was still enough to kill the baby- but not the mom?! We know it can pass through the breast milk but depending on the doctor and patients diagnosis breastfeeding would not necessarily be contraindicated if say the mom had cancer. If the mom accidentally killed the baby there is no way she would get 20 years in prison. The fact she supposedly passed it though her breast milk shocked the sensibilities of people involved in her prosecution and they wanted her to suffer in regards to the shock she caused them. They wanted vengeance.
  • Recently I read an online review of my children's daycare. The first one made it sound like a torture chamber of horrors. There is not a chance that review was written by a real person- it had to be a set-up by one of the centers competitors. All the negatives listed by the reviewer were literally in truth some of our daycare's strong points.
  • The History Channel's Big History looks good. I have only seen the one about water but have high hopes for others in the series.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am not overly familiar with the Stones' early catalog. I do know their late catalog has probably given me an unfairly negative view of them.

I own "Exile on Main Street," though, and there's no way to say anything bad about that one.

Maybe I should enforce a "No Stones music from after 1978" rule for myself and see if that fixes things.

an Donalbane said...

Kates - funny that you mentioned 1978. AFAIK, the only Stones album I have is an original artwork Some Girls from that year. (I should see what it would bring on the Ebay...)

Wikipedia has this comment about Some Girls: "With the advent of punk rock, The Rolling Stones, among many of their musical contemporaries, were being targeted by some in the movement as cultural dinosaurs, compromising their standing. Mick Jagger felt invigorated by the provocations and was determined to answer them lyrically. It helped, however, that almost all the punks had, openly or not, idolised the Stones in the 1960s and were heavily influenced by the band's rebellious records from that era."

Even in 1978 considered dinos? Wow, what must they be now - fossils?

BTW, I'm not so much the Stones fan (as if that weren't already evidenced by my having but one of their records), but I do admire their perseverance. While I would not be one to so laud them, they are among the handful of bands that can claim to be "the greatest R&R band in the world."

an Donalbane said...

In the words of Yoda, A burden it is.

Yeah, well, all things in context - 'cause, ya know, what's huge on a 3 foot tall dude with lots of earlobe hair might not be that impressive for a real person.

Just sayin'.