Friday, April 25, 2014

Friday's Dispatch




  • The remains of LtCMDR Michael "Scott" Speicher have been found and identified in Iraq. His loss occurred on the first night of Desert Storm 1991 when he was shot down in his F18. His recovery happened exactly as I would have guessed and could have predicted: he died during the shoot down and his remains were buried by Bedouins. I'm glad- his loss has been misused and abused by POW/MIA opportunists for the past nearly 20 years.
  • Anyway, this won't be the last you'll hear of his story but, I hope the recovery of his remains will help the family.
  • His best friend in life married his widow- that is a very honorable, peaceful and perfect thought to me for some reason.
  • I know a very bad, evil person who is dying right now and I'm a little bothered by the fact that his impending death doesn't bother me at all. I'm tempted to feel some satisfaction at the thought of him burning in hell forever but, can't even say that's true- I feel nothing but, maybe some hope of relief for some women whose healing can have a chance. A whole lot of people are going to have feelings they don't quite know what to do with when he dies- both victims and enablers (I hate that word too but, it's apropos).
  • We had to be around that person somewhat when our children were little. I cornered that monster once and while literally breathing down his throat said while pointing to my toddler nearby, If you touch that baby I will strangle the life out of you. If you so much as speak to him I will kill you. I mean, I will choke you until you die. I - will - kill - you. Do you understand me? Tell me you understand."
  • Oh, yes I did.
  • Took 2 nephews who had never met to the Gainesville Zoo this weekend. It was about 3 in the afternoon when we got there so I don't remember a lot about the trip except the sound of my pulse throbbing in my ear. Good grief, what was I thinking? 97 degrees and 59% humidity.
  • No not a duplicate post if you remember me saying the same thing about a month ago- I really did it twice. The first time it was me and Zac.
  • Both nephews went to one of the caretakers and asked to be hosed down.
  • When we were about to leave I went into the restroom and there caught up with both of the older boys who were sitting on the floor under the hand dryers with their shirts open allowing the air to blow in. They said, Look uncle Kevin we're cooling off!
  • Without missing a beat I looked over my shoulder and said, Who are you kids and how do you know my name?
  • I saw a capybara fart in the capybara pool. I mean epically fart- a big bubba-aloop of bubbles that startled the one who cut it and made him turn around and look where it bubbled up from.
  • The other capys didn't seem to mind.

No comments: