Monday, April 7, 2014

Monday's Missives

Not a timely traffic report image- it happened weeks ago.


  • Pork, it's sooo good, bacon is made from it.
  • The brown recluse that lives in the US came from South America in the 1950s. It entered in the baggage of a troupe of Shakespearean actors. No- really, I'm not kidding.
  • From the home page of an overseas based website of cabin plans: " This might not be earth shattering merely so is your well disposed- state government. Moisture from the glue will be absorbed by the cooky and that bequeath make the biscuit swell upwards toward the atomic number 49..." Hey, sounds legit to me.
  • If I am in  a mood to be disgusting I can make belch in a way that will make you vomit into your shirt pocket. 
  • Recently I saw a kid with his cap cocked around backwards on his head. He was squinting his eyes from the sun as he left our clinic and literally stumbled his way out the door. I stood there in awe shaking my head.
    Not the kid
  • A smart person would invest in a trailer park. Invest in making it nice, clean and safe and charge a little more than average for the area. Pay a manager OK but provide a free trailer. Don't put up with crap from any renter. Buy nicer trailers from distressed owners for replacements and/or work deals with dealers and banks. Do as much maintenance and repair yourself as you and your manager can do without costing yourself 50 bucks trying to save a nickel.  When there is a building boom on or you're ready to get out, scrap or auction all the trailers, sell the land and walk away.
    Not the park I have envisioned
  • Yeah, I have a lot of good ideas, in fact some call me an ideas man. Its why I'm so rich.
  • Yesterday (03/22/2014) I scored a normally 300 dollar down bag at REI for 125 bucks. Score! Besides Army issues it is the first down bag I have ever owned and the 15 degree F. rating ought to serve me well. Yes, 15 degrees might sound ridiculous in Texas but I'm a ridiculously cold sleeper and camp year round.
  • The guy talked me into joining their co-op plan with a sweet 20% discount and gave it to me on the items I just bought after some confusing return/refund/resale hi jinks on the register.. Double score!
  • This past weekend (03/30/2014) after I proudly dished up the last of the breakfast burritos I sat down for the coffee I had also made on my Coleman dual fuel stove. I knew I had splashed some hot water on my crotchal region but also knew it wasn't much and assumed the burn would fade quickly and was looking for my delicious caffeinated beverage to take me away. As these thoughts and many others circulated through my tiny brain FG's eyes got wide and pointing to my crotch where I had dropped the towel I had used for a pot holder said, Kevin... Fire! Did you  know old, dried out cotton towels are flammable if passed too closely over a camp stove flame? Yeah, I know- me neither. No one was more surprised than me and my boys.
    Not the aforementioned towel. No wait- that isn't true.That is totally the towel that scorched my man-junk.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This blog post had everything: Bacon, semis, trailer parks, backwards baseball caps, and scorched man-junk.

If you'd only include mac & cheese and a monster truck, I would have given you some kind of award.

el chupacabra said...

Ha, thanks- I would have proudly accepted.

an Donalbane said...

Dude, back off on the trailer park idea, OK? I had that idea.

My version/vision is offering an alternative lifestyle - no, not that alternative lifestyle (though, as a laissez faire kinda guy, I'd have no beef with AL people living in my AL housing community) - home choice: Deliberately small - OK, tiny - homes for those who eschew material accumulations (wish I'd latched on to that concept 30 years ago) and live simply, but richly, using fewer resources, retaining more disposable income (due to less spending on furniture, electricity, mowing, insurance), and experiencing less stress.

As such, as attrition runs its course, I'd replace crackerbox mobile homes with products like this, and this, or this.

Right now there's a hidden gem of an RV park tucked between Montgomery Plaza and the W7 district. I think the concept would go bonkers there with the trendy urbanites.

Another park with excellent terrain/setting is on the border of Arlington/DWG. I noticed it this afternoon returning to my office from a meeting. Not as urban or trendy an area as W7, its foliage and topography would make a splendid small house community.

el chupacabra said...


hey Don I had that micro housing thing bouncing around in me head for years and had plans for one on my long lost place. We like things that are new AND practical it appeals to us whether we know it or act like like it or not.
We're also big on wild swings from one extreme to the next- 10 years ago people were buying big houses they should have known they couldn't afford- now people want that security and low cost of something small- even ridiculously small.