Tuesday, December 25, 2012

12/22/2012 From Screen Shelter #4


  • I'm  in shelter #4 rereading Krakauer's Into Thin Air for the third (or is it fourth?) time. I have read everything I know of written by him and actually started reading his writing when he wrote exclusively for magazines.
  • You should see my zebra print satin pillow cover. It is pimp.
  • I'm staying here until at least Christmas morning. 
  • I didn't bring a camera this time- on purpose. It won't make sense to you but I wanted only memories when I planned coming out this time.
  • The screen shelters are a great way to get out without roughing it too much. You have electricity and a roof over your head. The lake is an easy stones throw away. You could literally hold your breath and get to the water. I think it maybe a little odd though, they're 95% the cost of a Motel 6.
  • I bought a Serta brand queen size air mattress for this trip. It is awesome- it is like sleeping on a bed of air...
  • Ha, I slay myself sometimes.
  • Coyotes are all around- some are very close, so close their calls have startled birds off their roosts near me and some are calling from so far away if it weren't for the sound echoing through the draws I doubt I would be able to hear them. 
  • A beaver is splashing his tail against the water.
  • I have no idea what time it is. I did not even bring a watch.
  • As Rob Hall was dying on Everest he spoke by sat phone to his wife in New Zealand. I love You. Sleep well my sweetheart. Please don't worry too much. were his last words in this world. Who could have done better?
  • Here is a favorite Xmas song for you. Timbuk3 All I Want For Christmas
  • Good night world wherever you are. I love you in spite of yourself.

3 comments:

Opus #6 said...

Camping outside? Sounds fun. I was going to make a beaver joke, but that's not necessary.

World peace? We'd have to get the islamists and bad guys of the world to buy off on that first. But yes, I would love world peace, too.

an Donalbane said...

Lady O, I'll take up the gauntlet.

ComKev, you mean there's plentiful beaver to be had @ MWSP?

If I recall properly, the cabins are numbered from west to east? Is #4 one with a dock/platform?

el chupacabra said...

Hey Don- The lake is literally teeming with beaver- there are probably too many if I had to guess. There is a fishing dock down from 4 in between 4 and 5. A blue heron roosts on it and squawks like crazy when he get run off at night (which on my first night seemed to happen every time I dozed off ...).