Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sunday's Summary






  • My buddy dropped by yesterday to check on me since my phone has been out of service and he couldn't reach me. Our conversation led to a flood of flashbacks. I remembered watching a movie with his parents. It was the first time I watched Dr. Strangelove. Even though we were in our 30s and didn't know each other in our teens it was like enjoying the simple times of our teens- while knowing what had at the time. His mom fussed over us. We made it most of the way through the movie after eating pizza. Then the guys crashed and we awoke to his mom cleaning from that day and preparing for the next. We filmed all our hunts during the day and gave the tapes titles like Kill Fest 99, Blood Sport 00 and If It Flies It Dies 01. During one hunt his dad went to an appointment and was admitted to the hospital. We were going to finish the hunt and then my bud would come back and do the family thing. Instead, he came to me while I napped from the moring hunt and said, Hey, dads going bad real quick. It doesn't look good- it doesn't look good at all. I may need you to drive my truck home and we'll call it quits for now. During the stay before that I'd run a harvester for his dad. When the water pump quit he said he'd get somebody to come out and look at it. I said, Why don't we do it? We couldn't find a pump anywhere so I removed the old pump and laid everything out so the mechanic (who'd be there long after we left) would be able to figure things out- hopefully saving money and down time on the harvester. I sensed my buds dad liked and respected me for that. I liked and respected him for that. Anyway, I knew on the way home alone that night we'd never be there again- you can never go home. And I haven't been back since.

  • Recently two middle aged female acquaintances were discussing the cosmetic work (in great detail) they'd have done if they could. While not normally in the business of telling people how to think or feel, without thinking I said, Good grief- you're both gorgeous. You need to be happy with yourselves and satisfied with how well you're aging, do it gracefully and go about your business without turning yourselves into some weird looking monsters.

  • The look on their faces was mostly one of surprise at hearing me say I thought they were pretty I think, although yes- it may have been my blunt tone.

  • The time 11:11 continues to have some odd significances for me.

  • I've had my own take on this for years, but I like the concise simplicity of this: before doing something ask yourself this- how will I feel about it- how will it affect me, 10 minutes from now, 10 days from now- 10 years from now?

  • Marines in firefight- Afghanistan

No comments: