Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Wednesdays Digressions



  • Over the past few days I've watched the entire first season of the Twilight Zone. I'd forgotten how many screen legends and generally well know people were on there. A single episode had Cliff Robertson, The Chief From Get Smart and John Astin- Gomez from the Addams Family. There are a lot of actors who didn't become legends but, their faces are very recognizable if you watched a lot of old television from the 50s and 60s.


  • One thing I noticed that I had never thought of before: I can tell the difference between episodes written by Rod Serling and others- the Serling episodes are almost always great and the others will be relatively lame.


  • Trivia I remember from way back- Serling was known for sweating very profusely, so much so he had to change shirts multiple time in a day.


  • I also remember people thinking he was some sort of Antichrist. I gave a couple minutes to trying to find something about this by using Serling Antichrist, I only found articles mentioning Serling but, the emphasis would be Obama as The Anti Christ

  • When I was a kid we had a black and white TV that for a long time if you turned it off it would take hours for it to warm up and make an image- we would just black the screen out and turn the volume down. Eventually it got to the point if it was turned off it would take days for it to come back.

  • We were poor.


  • I haven't had broadcast or cable TV in the house for 13? years. I watch DVDs and some shows on the internet. Burn Notice, Dresden Files and a few others on Hulu.com and now The Twilight Zone on CBS.com


  • I have a new Panasonic 42 inch glass screen plasma HD TV that is 5 months old still in the box. I found it on sale when I was going to buy a motorhome. The deal I felt good about didn't happen and although I kept looking for awhile-and then with gas prices I thought better of it. I'll end up using it, though I guess it's weird something that is such an awesome example of something I enjoy (and people I know would nearly kill for) is just sitting there in a box.

  • I used to feel kind of sorry for some people who would go to sleep in front of a television. They seemed so lonely. I do it often now, although it doesn't just stay on all night- it's just something to do like reading which I still often do before I go to sleep. Would people feel sorry for me thinking I'm lonely? Pitiful even?

  • Television: Fewer things in this world have the potential for so much good and simultaneously so much destruction.

  • I know people who will say,"We don't watch the TV all that much." When I know it stays on all day and they watch hours of it daily.

  • I have probably donated close to 50 DVDs to the public library, it makes me feel good when I see one on the shelf that is there because of me. I wonder: How many people enjoyed it because they couldn't afford to rent? Did a family become closer for few minutes laughing together at a comedy? Have people learned alot from the documentaries? Will someome steal it and why?


No comments: