Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I Remember


flesh colored crayons but, only as an artifact that popped up in a cigar box of old worn out, broken crayons. I still remember the kid who pointed it out to me in the first grade and my mothers uncomfortable reaction when I asked her about it in relation to black people. Mom, was never at a loss for words but, this time was definitely the exception for that rule- I guess that's why it made such an impression.


The color name was changed to peach in 1962 although I cannot tell you how many times I've heard a black person born years after the name change relate (in one memorable case tearfully) their shock and sadness on the first day of school at seeing the flesh colored crayons when they opened their school supplies.


Not bad, nor right or wrong - just a collective conscientiousness thing, that you couldn't get them to shake off if you tried.

No comments: