Friday, August 8, 2008

Fridays Dispatch




  • My first truck was a 1951 Chevrolet that I paid 500.00 for 20 + years ago. It had a 250 cubic inch engine and 4 speed standard transmission. It was pretty cool even though mint would never come to mind when looking at the truck. It was mostly cool because for some reason girls loved the thing. A woman in a Chevette rear ended me totally destroying the front of her car- literally, the headlights were knocked out, the radiator went into the fan and antifreeze was pouring out, my trucks bumper paint only had a slight rub mark although she pushed us forward on impact. For years after selling it I'd come across it at different places and try to buy it- never could come to terms with anybody though.


  • A car is transportation not a statement or whatever, I'd never spend more than I have to on a vehicle, though if I can buy one that interests me reasonably I will. I owned a Jeep that was lifted, had a roll bar and awesome stereo- you name it but, It was my daily driver. It was fun. I drove it for a year and sold it for 1500.00 over my purchase price.

  • College girls would chase me in my Jeep and I'd think things like Your dad didn't raise you to be chasing some guy like me or Girl, you are going to get hurt hanging out the car window like that- put your seatbelt on and sit down! That's when I knew I was getting old.

  • I had a new Camaro after my first year in college. When I parked on campus the first day I owned it a girl who previously wouldn't have given me the time of day flirted with me in the parking lot. At first when this would happen I felt offended because well, previously they would not have given me the time of day, then I came to my senses and put that childish, ethical thinking away.

  • I used to drive a new Camaro and go out with pretty girls. Whatever happened to the handsome young devil that did that?

  • I'm unsure how many cars I've owned- 20?

  • I'd live in a downtown area and live without a car- just walk or bike to work,restaurants, shows etc. Never thought I'd feel that way.

  • When I was a kid a pillar of society type had a great old 60s model Lincoln or Mercury sitting in the parking lot of his business, it had been his mother in laws. I asked if he'd sell it, he said, "Would 50.00 be too much?" I said,"Heck no" He told me to get permission from my folks (I was about 12). I ran to go find some yards to mow to finish putting together the 50 bucks. I nearly killed myself but, made the money in 2-3 days and went back he said,"You know I talked to old_____ and he said I needed to ask more like 300.00 for that car." He could have shot me in the guts and I would have been less shocked and hurt. He than said,"If you can get that for me, you can still have that old car." That was the day I learned to distrust. I never looked at that man the same again- even as an adult. Until the day he died if he told me good morning I'd check my watch.

No comments: