Monday, August 18, 2008

Mondays Missives



  • I had toast with sausage gravy this morning while drinking a Dr Pepper. Extreme comfort food.
  • I ate lemon pepper tuna and black eyed peas and drank orange juice yesterday, maybe that counteracts this morning breakfast.

  • I have never owned a toaster- I use the broiler in the oven. I'd never thought of that before- I've never owned a toaster that seems weird.

  • When I was growing up my friends mom always cooked a lot every meal but, especially breakfast. We'd go to his house when we skipped school and there would be leftover bacon and toast. We would eat that and it was the only place I drank coffee. I still like stale-ish buttered toast and coffee every once in a while.

  • When I was in school, kids drank coffee in the lunchroom-kid you not- as in first grade.

  • That friend and I were to start a used car lot in our hometown. We would have done great, I was at a loss when he was killed- he was electrocuted at work. I was in Germany when he died, I found out in a letter from my mother, it started out after a greeting,"I have terrible news". We had been planning for him to come over and I think he may have even already gotten his passport. God, I can still get sad when I think about him- in a way, worse as time goes by. Wonder why? Intuitively, it seems like time should soften the blow to where you feel very little. I think about him less often but, the thought can still hit me hard. I've only gone to the cemetary twice, once I was there for another funeral and bumped into his mother and she took me over to see his grave another time it was snowing and I couldn't find the grave.

  • I got back in touch with his mother a few months before she died and we visited several times. I think it was good for both of us.

  • Just had another memory of that friend, there was trouble at his house when we were probably 10 years old. He ran away to my house, I slept in the backyard in my hammock and he slept in an old Studebaker car of my dads. A thunderstorm hit about 2 am and I ran in the house. I can see him sitting up in that old car looking around silhouetted by the lightning as I ran into the house now just as plain as the night it happened.

  • The picture above is of my childrens grandfathers horses in the pasture by the house. Quite a view huh?

Click to enlarge and be jealous.

No comments: