Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Wednesday Digressions




  • A corn flashback: A friend asked me once to house sit for him while he was out of town for the weekend, this was ok until I discovered it was in the middle of a 75 acre cornfield. Have you ever been in a cornfield!? There is a reason why so many horror movies are set in cornfields- they are spooky. A breeze blows and it undulates like a wave caused by some God-awful monster that's waiting for the right time to eat your face off. The worst part was when the sun started to set- your heart would just sink with it. The security light put off enough light in the right spectrum to make the edges eerie and highlight the waves that looked like the monster was peeking out at you. At one point I looked out and saw what I thought was a coyote, it had a familiar predator shape anyway, eating bugs (which the entire place because of the corn and light was crawling with) under the security light as I watched it spread it's wings hopped a few steps in my direction and flew away! It was the biggest owl I've ever seen. What was thing doing eating bugs under a street light? Was it too afraid to go out into the cornfield? The drive curved in such a way that every direction you looked was corn and it made you feel absolutely and utterly trapped. I was there for 3 days and 2 nights. I was completely exhausted when he came back.
  • A nearly forgotten associated memory: There is nothing like fresh corn on the cob, I made it every morning and evening while I was out there among the corn. There is something about how the nature of the sugars in the corn change after picking the flavor begins to degrade very rapidly. Boiled in salt water add a little pepper and butter- wow.

No comments: