Thursday, February 20, 2014

Thursday's Thoughts



  • Fort Worth's own Toadies performing Possum Kingdom. This song isn't about vampires or a night of rape in a lake house- it was inspired by a murder near the lake and the subsequent dumping of the body in the lake.
  • Possum Kingdom- what a name huh? Absolutely beautiful lake though- in another life I scuba dived there often.
  • Bonus if you have a couple of extra minutes: Backslider.
  • Due to space restrictions instead of opening new plots of land up to expansion by cemeteries they are planning on burials being stacked on top of each other and also vertically. People have protested this- I just can't imagine daddy having to look up at a stranger for eternity or He (or she) will be standing up forever! Ridiculous, they are dead and gone and the favor to people who think like this would be to remind them of that fact and not coddle their senseless/irrational concerns. 
  • I like Metal music. To be more clear I like Metal music with discernible vocals and music that each song doesn't sound exactly like the song preceding it but often wonder- I am dangerously close to 50. how much longer will I like music like that? Will I be rocking back and forth in the old folks home to the musical stylings of Mushroomhead and Slipknot at 88 years old?
  • What they're doing with figure skating these days is awesome- literally awe inspiring. Gymnastics and figure skating are odd choices for the Olympics though. I mean come on- really it is ballet judged with some arbitrary guidelines by flawed and prejudiced judges. They are what barrel racing is to rodeo.

4 comments:

an Donalbane said...

Although I sort of enjoy graveyard tourism - looking at the marker designs, the dates - I can go through the local cemetery and say "Oh, I knew that one...and that one...that' must've been so-and-so's father...I didn't know they'd lost a child..." - I've no desire to putrefact in one.

If my kin or survivors don't follow my wishes to be placed in an oversized Hefty Cinch-sack and left at the curb, my second choice would be cremation - ideally in a simple wood vessel I would have already fabricated by my own labor. Then, possibly they'd be charitable enough to apportion my cremains at a handful of interesting places on this blue orb that I would love to have visited in life but didn't (contrast with "Well, Ol' Bob jus' wanted ta have his ashes scattered by his faverite fishin' hole").

OK, enough morbidity for now...

el chupacabra said...

Ah well- gotta thinks about those things whether we want to or not. My buddy, a funeral director turned nurse practioner is to cut my trigger finger off and keep it to remember the good times of the hunt and the balance of my corpus is to go to science as they say as a full body donor (well- almost full minus the phalange).

Unknown said...

I've just started getting into some metal the past couple of years. I always connected it with sweaty shirtless guys and guitar solos and... the Eighties.

Black metal and even some death metal is not very Eighties, though. And it's got cool textures...

el chupacabra said...

I know what you mean Katie- check out Slipknot and Mushroomhead if u haven't already.