Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Wednesday's Digressions

  • "I know a lot of us have had a lot of anger, a lot of questions, a lot of uncertainty," he said. "Tonight's a celebration, a celebration of the elk. We loved him. But I think he loved us, too, because he returned to this neighborhood." And another quote from the same article "People live here because we love the wildlife," said Esther Parson, who lives in the foothills west of Boulder. "To murder an animal who feels like he's part of the neighborhood is despicable." Boulder Daily Camera. I don't remember the context, I'm sure I was going to make a point when I drafted this but it boiled down to: an elk died and anthropomorphic people cried. 
  •  I haven't done it in years but was asked recently if I knew how to cook and if I had a  special recipe for fried catfish. Here it goes: Use only fresh peanut oil. On fresh fillets place sea salt, fresh ground black pepper and chili powder. Roll the fillets in a 50/50 mixture of flour and cornmeal. Then dip in eggs and roll back into the corn meal/flour mix. When the fillets are golden and the bubbling of the oil has settled down they're ready. Set them out on some thick layers of paper towels and voila! You are a comfort food genius. As a bonus try using real mayo in place of the eggs.
  •  Oh, and when you say fillet, mispronounce it as it is spelled- fillet. I don't know why it makes it better but it does. Plus, it doesn't sound so French. Yes, I know fillet comes from an OE word but who would want to take the chance?
    From a Craigslist ad for a truck that, "Needs some work." Don't sweat it bro- that little ding will buff right out.

2 comments:

an Donalbane said...

No celebration of the elk is, in my opinion, complete without a tablespoon of horseradish sauce.

And maybe a nice Cabernet.

Cattastroficka said...

I'd eat elk, as long as it wasn't from MY neighborhood.

I like the catfish recipe, will be trying that.

I have frog legs in my freezer. They're NOT from my neighborhood.

My husband wouldn't eat any of the above. He has no sense of adventure!!! :)