Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Wednesday's Digressions





  • Sometimes if I warm coffee in the microwave for 1 minute it will be scalding hot and other times OK to drink as soon as it comes out. It isn't my imagination. My guess is it has to do with being placed slightly different in the oven and very small differences in amount of liquid making a bigger difference than I would have guessed.
  • Trivia that pops into my mind whenever I think of microwaves: Early scientists invested time seeing if those waves would be useful for cooking after one got in front of a transmitter with a chocolate bar in his pocket- and it melted. Also, of course the first food they used repeatedly to test effectiveness was popcorn.
  • Zachary gave me a nice flashback the other day when he picked up a copy of the Texas hunting regulations booklet. When his brother was not quite two I started taking him duck hunting with me. I would drop him in a sleeping bag, throw it and my decoy bag over my shoulder, put my gun under my arm and away we would go to where we would set up. We would lie around, eat drink and doze in between his questions while waiting for the sun to come up.
  • Man- memories and there will come a time when that's all we have.
  • I relatively often get pics or descriptions of a spider, bird, lizard, snake etc. from different people with the question, "Hey Kev, figured you'd know- what is this?
  • Watching way too much Animal Planet makes you look smarter than you are.
  • My Krups coffee maker still moans like a hurt child occasionally.
  • And still freaks me out when I hear it and Zac is here asleep in the other room.
  • Even though the gazillions of dollars we spend on defense sounds high it is still less than 5% of our total spending.
  • Another thought- although I could support reassessing our priorities and even decreasing the defense budget there is a whole bunch of money that needs to be spent for new equipment as not only are individual vehicles wearing out and losses not being replaced, every system we use is a 20 or even 30 year old design.








1 comment:

RPM said...

A lot of variables in the microwaved coffee. The power of one oven vs another, the type of material the cup is made from, temp of the cup and coffee before reheating, ect. If it's the same oven and same cup every time, then position is probably the reason.

I'd tend to go with different material of the cups. Some plastics heat very fast. I have a couple Rubbermaid dishes that will burn the prints off your fingers after nuking them for just a minute or so.