Thursday, April 14, 2011

Thursday's Thoughts



  • Been watching a great BBC series on wilderness survival by Ray Mears. It reminded me of a sad story- Lady B Good. You can find Extreme Survival at Topdocumentaryfilms.

  • Zachary wants to go see a cave. I'm thinking about going to Inner Space, but man- instead of making a 6 hour round trip to see a big hole in the ground it sounds better to drink coffee all morning have an early lunch and then nap.

  • Hey, it works for lions.

  • Well, maybe not the coffee part, but they would if they could.

  • Old timers believed in something called a rain crow and would tell you if they heard it singing, "It's going to rain in 24 hours or less." What we heard when one first mentioned it to me was a mourning dove (although he was correct it would rain). I could be easily convinced there is something to the tone, cadence and length of call being a predictor if someone studied it. I thought ones call was different before the last storm and actually told Zac about it when he asked what was making the call. It may be a convenient memory, but it's happened several other times as well.

  • I could literally and easily live making road trips with my children in an RV.

  • Also, I like staying in hotels although I hardly ever sleep well in them the first night.

  • An awesome associated memory: My two boys and I went on a road trip to Turner Falls. We walked, we explored, we swam both at the falls and at the hotel and ate at the same great place we always eat at that I can never remember the name. As we lay down me in one bed them in the other I said,"Here's the remote don't be too loud." I woke up an hour later to see they had turned the television off and were sleeping soundly. I passed smooth out and slept like a baby.

  • Have a great day.