Thursday, April 28, 2011

Raising Zachary

Even though it's been years since I went hunting I picked up this years hunting and fishing regulations booklet recently. Zac saw it in the backseat of the car and picked it up.

Dad, there's birds and guys with guns in this book, what's it about?
It's about hunting.
What's that? How does that work?
You use calls that sound like ducks and put fake ducks in the water that brings real ducks close and you shoot them.
You shoot them. He said pointedly.
Yes, when your brother was little he and I did it all the time- a lot.
You shoot them and then what?
You eat them.
You eat them?
Yes.
You eat them.
Yes.
After a couple of minutes of silent thought while looking at the book he resolutely said, I want to do that.
Guess I'm going hunting again.

3 comments:

Opus #6 said...

Oh boy, oh boy. I love having boys.

We have turned to scouting, because I have no experience doing these types of things. But what boy does not want to get his little hands on bb guns, bows and arrows, tomahawks and other fun stuff.

Have a great time.

el chupacabra said...

Hey Op- Can't wait for Zac to start scouting too. Some of my best memories and really- lessons came from scouting as a boy.

Kathleen... said...

I agree, Opus -- Scouting is a great outlet for boys! VisionForum.com has been terrific for my boys too....my Big Boy hones his axing skills regularly on an old stump out back. =)

Love hearing your Zac stories.