Friday, April 29, 2011

I'm Exhausted- In A Good Way

My patient expired 3 hours after I got to her house. She made that clucking noise with her tongue and went pale- instantly pale and opened her eyes. This usually means there might be a few agonal respirations and then nothing. I called the family in and told them she was almost gone. Three or even four minutes went by without a respiration. She was turning white as a sheet. Suddenly she drew a deep breath and continued respiring agonally for fifteen long minutes with only maybe two breaths a minute. Thankfully I'd prepared the family beforehand what these respirations looked like (it can be upsetting looking) and then reminded them she was OK. No pain.

They held their breaths nearly as long as she between respirations and then would breath deep and sob when she would inhale during those miserable looking final respirations.

Everybody was sad. Everybody Cried. Everyone told her they loved her. They told each other they loved each other. They shielded only the littlest child from grandmother's end.

When I walked out at the same time the funeral director was taking her away they became as tearful as when she expired three hours before, but they had a certain peace- they were far from OK, but I knew they would be.

Good night world.

2 comments:

Opus #6 said...

They were lucky to have you there to help. Telling them that her experience is normal must have been a great relief.

Kathleen... said...

The Hospice nurse at my Grandma's last days was a gift for me. The "ushering" you do for the person exiting this world and for those who will miss them is immeasurable.