Friday, April 15, 2011

Thank God I'm Home Whether It's Friday Or Not

The falls. Some call it the Niagra Of The South- not really.
Castle that was the model for Dr. Frankenstein's. It was dissassembled in Europe, the stones numbered and after a 2 month steamship voyage it was rebuilt on moonshine wealth in Oklahoma.

I'm sorry- I'm lying, it was built of native stone by a college professor back in the 1930s.

  • Zachary and I just got in from Turner Falls.

  • We stayed here. The people were nice, the room decent.

  • Zachary wanted caves- he got one. It's not exactly Carlsbad Caverns, but there's a few small ones in the park. We had to crawl into the first. Not a problem for him. It was a problem for me.

  • Whaaaaa.

  • He loved it even though we nearly froze our tookus' off (it was 54 degrees with 40 mph winds and humid).

  • There was tempted tornadic activity (tor con 7/10) all around us and it hailed off/on all evening last night.

  • I think that was the first time Zachary held a hail ball.

  • Oklahoma is a very beautiful state with lots of wildlife.

  • An odd thing I've noticed- they have lots of signs. I mean there are traffic signs for the signs up there- Merge Right NOW right after 2 signs in past 1/2 mile indicating the lane would end. Motorcycles use caution. Read and observe signs- state law. Stop HERE with an arrow on a miniature stop sign that's literally right under another stop sign...

  • Go to Turner Falls some day and tell 'em I sent you.

  • No, don't do that- unless you want them to think you're weird.

  • Going to go soak in tub and then SLEEP.

  • Goodnight.

  • PS. Ya'll try to burn the world down while we were away? We literally started choking on the smoke around Denton- couldn't believe source wasn't more local to that area it was so thick.

4 comments:

an Donalbane said...

Did you go in the cave just to the north of the falls near the top, or the other one at the fence line at the south end of the park, east of the creek (opening faces SW)?

I have a friend who says he went in the south one with some spelunking buddies in college.

el chupacabra said...

Hey Don- we went in the one at the top of the falls. It oddly seems bigger to me- dug out more by other explorers?

We'll hit the others in early summer when we go back.

Was Flying P Ranch the answer to your question the other day?

an Donalbane said...

Yes. I wouldn't have remembered the name without your mentioning it, but when I Googled it [the name] I found a riders' forum and directions, which, through the Bing maps birdseye view confirmed it was the place.

Way cool!

The cave at the top of the falls is much bigger. The one south of there on the east side of the creek at the fenceline - I think you have to go in on your belly, with a belay line anchored outside. Am told it goes in quite a ways.

RPM said...

No way, nope, ain't gonna happen! Being underground is bad enough, but in a crawl space?

You guys are nuts!