Monday, April 18, 2011

Monday's Missives

I love this vehicle- the Bradley Fighting Vehicle. If you've seen The Pentagon Wars and/or remember the debate over it when it was being fielded everything you think you know about it is wrong. It's a great, reliable, survivable vehicle that is responsible for saving the lives of many Americans and ending the lives of many, many enemy. I'll talk more about it someday, but I came across this pic looking to illustrate this post and got a warm and fuzzy feeling so I thought I'd put it up..

  • Echo And The Bunnymen- Lips Like Sugar.

  • Which made me think about this song, Kill Hannah- Lips Like Morphine.

  • Not really obsessing about lips this morning just an Internet induced lazy train of thought.

  • Stupid Internet.

  • I put a gray moth caterpillar in a bowl with Goldfish crackers the other day to show Zac when he came to see me. In a few hours it had eaten nearly a whole cracker and in less than a full day had eaten several. By the next morning it weighed 11 pounds and by that night was dead.

  • Scientific conclusion: Goldfish crackers are dangerous.

  • But, maybe the caterpillar didn't weigh 11 pounds though.

  • But, it was ginormous.

  • I'm very picky about food and drink products I ingest being fresh and safe with one possible exception- I'll warm days old coffee in the microwave.

  • That even sounds gross, but yeah- I do it.

  • Richard Deacon who played Mel Cooley on the Dick Van Dyke show wrote several microwave cookbooks.

  • I recently watched the pilot to that show. It was terrible, but the weird thing was none of the actors were the same, although all the characters were more or less intact when the series did air (the exception was Carl Reiner initially played Robert Petrie). It was correctly deduced that the concept was good, but the actors were wrong.

5 comments:

Sherri said...

Echo and the Bunnymen - takes me back to the hey days on 6th street.... Modern English, The Cure, The Smiths... oh man...

Opus #6 said...

The original Star Trek pilot had all different actors, except for Leonard Nimoy, he's the only one who stayed. Great choice.

RPM said...

I think Pentagon Wars pointed out the weaknesses of the Bradley and led it to become a much safer vehicle. The original design was not up to what they were asking of the vehicle.

Kathleen... said...

Who knew? Caterpillars will eat crackers??

el chupacabra said...

Sherri- I still have cds of The Cure and The Smiths

Opus- VERY surprised I did not know that.

RPM- It's been too long since I read or thought much about that. Part of the problem perceived by Army armor types was the officer in charge of that program was Air Force- he couldn't grab his butt with both hands when it came to armor.
To show his ignorance he wanted one tested with a 500 BOMB. Nothing can/will survive that.
He had a problem with its high profile- ridiculing it as defeating the purpose of a recon vehicle. It wasn't just a recon vehicle- it was meant to kill other recon vehicles which it did scary well in both Iraq wars.
And regardless, in terrain that will mask a 10 foot tall vehicle you can mask a 13 feet tall one just as well.
I'm sorry- that sounded like a rant!
Kathleen! Yeah. I only grabbed the bowl because it was handy and was a little surpised to lift the cover and see the half eaten cracker the first time.