Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Something About Me

I enjoy reading Cliffs Notes on any subject so much I won't pass a cheap one up in a bookstore or if I see one at a friends house. I have no idea how many I've read, although I don't recall ever reading one in college for course work.


Related trivia: The familiar black and yellow stripes on the cover of Cliff Notes are meant to connote emergency use as in the yellow and black striped patterns around emergency switches in aircraft.

Related flashback: I remember a high school English teacher adamantly demanding we stay away from Cliffs Notes saying something like,"If your brother or sister are in college and they suggest you use them, they aren't doing you any favors, you better stay away from them and learn the material on your own." A very strange opinion I realize now- it would be much better to recommend the use or even provide the Notes on the work being studied, peruse the Notes, discuss the work and then dig into the book. This would increase retention, understanding and enjoyment of the book dramatically.

No comments: