Monday, September 8, 2008

Mondays Missives



  • I'm known for having a crazy good memory, so much so that it seems no matter the setting I'm constantly called on to mediate disputes over something based on my memory and If I don't remember? People will sometimes assume I just don't want to help their side because they think I should have remembered. I have to look at it like a superpower that must be used for good and not evil.

  • 38-12-26- my locker combination from high school. My 25 year reunion was a couple of weeks ago.

  • I have no pleasant memories of my marriage.

  • I can often effectively erase an unpleasant memory so that it doesn't intrude into my thoughts ever again.

  • My son asked me if there was ever a time in life you'd use non-real numbers in daily business. Um, I might have been able to answer that one bubba if I knew what non-real numbers were. It reminded me though of what kids would say when I was in school,"When am I ever going to use Algebra in my life?" I had a job once where I used fairly complex Algebra on a daily basis and not to sound too melodramatic but, peoples lives depended on my calculations.

  • I remember kids by name, hobbies and things they said from school who may have only been there a short time and other people have no recall of them whatsoever.

  • There was a kid who I went to school with that was born without thumbs and one who was born with only three fingers on each hand, there was also a kid who lived next door to friends in my hometown whose right hand had only one large very short finger where his middle two fingers should have been.

  • People saying,"Governor Palins pregnant daughter proves what a dismal failure abstinence only education is." Seems disingenuous on many levels. 1) Do they know that child received abstinence only education or a very thorough one? They can't have any idea. 2) The logical take on this would be if it happened to this family?- it could happen to anyone. And how bad would this problem be if no one ever stressed to their children to wait for marriage?

  • Another disingenuous aspect- Obamas mother was unmarried at the time of his conception. He can be president but, Palin can't be vice president because her unmarried daughter is pregnant? Bizarre.

  • The really good thing for Palin supporters? If her detractors are this desperate she should be in good shape. This should be apparent regardless of your political beliefs.

  • People believe all teenagers have sex. Do they base this in any way on personal experience? If a person was 15 ten years ago and going at it like a bunny every weekend it doesn't mean everyone one else was and is and if they weren't doing it but, assumed everyone else was that isn't correct thinking either. And surveys and studies? A kid may lie about nothing else but, you aren't going to get them to admit they aren't having sex if they think everyone else is having sex.

  • I knew a guy once who got his girlfriend pregnant. Not news you say? Oh I'm sorry, I forgot to mention he was 11. He and the girlfriend were still together when I met him- he was 22, she was 30.

  • The term eye boogers is gross, funny and wonderfully descriptive.

  • The guitar pictured above was Jimi Hendrix 1965 Fender Strat which was the first one he set on fire. It had been in a guys garage since he burned it in 1967, it sold yesterday for 500,000 dollars.

No comments: