Friday, September 12, 2008

Fridays Dispatch


I understand if we love someone we find them more attractive than we would if we had no feelings for them and they will be perceived as more attractive to us than another might find them- does this extend to people we don't know but, we admire? People that admire Michelle Obama speak constantly of her beauty, detractors compare her appearance to a chimp. Palins admirers say she's hot, detractors compare her to a mousy librarian and rag on her supposed lack of fashion sense. I understand beauty is in the eye of the beholder but it seems aspects of qualifying beauty should be somewhat objective. How does the way we perceive a persons character so thoroughly affect the way we see them physically?

  • When I hear the dog snoring I feel more at ease and I guess contented.
  • Friends when rummaging through my laptop to check out my music have given me an unmercifully hard time over the number of soundtrack albums I have. If you think about it, the music budget for a top flight movie is going to be huge so it can attract the best composers and artists, it is used to set a tone and convey a message so it will be powerful, regardless of the genre it will be pleasing because it has to appeal to a wide audience, even if you don't remember the movie specifically, if you had a pleasant experience with it hearing the music will have a good connotation. I can think of three people by name who gave me a hard time over having that music who found different soundtracks to be some of their favorite music.
  • I hate using the word genre.
  • If I had any vocal or instrumental musical ability, had a little bit of rhythm, could write songs or basically any talent at all- I think I would be good in a band.
  • I've had at least three friends who were in bands. One was a country singer who was so good it was unbelievable. He brought a tape to work once that had some original work which as good or better than anything on the radio and there were covers on it that honestly blew the originals away. Of course, across the board we all said,"What are you doing here? You belong in Nashville!" He said something like," You go to any of the honky tonks around here, say in a fifty mile radius, if there aren't ten guys good enough for the big time, there's fifty- there's only so much room at the top and anyway, breaking into the business is like winning the lottery- there's a lot of luck involved."
  • I had another friend who looked quite a bit like Clint Black. He was in a Dairy Queen in Holiday Texas once that happened to have a bus style motorhome in front and noticed everybody who walked in would stare and point him out to other people. One lady approached him with a napkin and a pen, he said," Wait a second, I know where this is headed..." The woman acted like she didn't hear a word and said,"Mr. Black, I know you're busy but, can I please have your autograph?" He said,"I'm sorry, I know what you're..." "I'm your biggest fan, I have all your music!" was the interrupting reply as she placed the pen and paper on the table. "Look, I get this all the time I'm not Clint Black- I'm sorry." The woman snatched the pen and paper off the table and snarled, " You try to come across as so nice in all your interviews and music but you are just a hateful little man aren't you? I was your biggest fan, see if I ever buy any of your music again!" and she then stormed out without even ordering any food.
  • I would have said,"Sure darlin', who should I make this out to?"

No comments: