Monday, September 29, 2008

Mondays Missives

JFK Nixon debate 1960

  • Polls are a notoriously shaky way to gauge anything but, especially a political debate. Usually, what happens with notable exceptions in a debate is viewer belief is only strengthened in whom they already believed. What does seem to matter is how it's perceived in the following days after it has been distilled down through various media. Does that mean how a network or agency reports the candidates performance will have the final say on perception? One outlet gathered a group of undecided voters and polled them on who they perceived won- Obama was seen as the winner by twice as many polled. Would they lie? An uncommitted voter this late in the race and in this election in particular? Give me a break. Didn't happen, those folks saw a chance to help their candidate, pure and simple. Polls did suggest Obama won on issues of the economy and McCain winning on foreign policy issues. Unless one candidate or the other is absolutely destroyed though it's hard to peg a winner in these debates. And the truthfulness of this seems borne out by the outlets claiming a clear cut winner and loser- more or less liberal? - Obama hands down. More or less conservative? - McCain handed Obama his rear end on a platter but, this is what it's about- perception in the days following the debates.

  • I read the other day that most phobias begin at age 13. I wonder why, is that related to puberty, or a self esteem issue as kids are trying to find their place in the world? I have only one phobia- ish thing about me that I'm aware of and it has only developed over the past couple of years. Interestingly (or oddly) I've only told one person what that is and while I don't regret it, I have a vague sense it may come back to haunt me- I have no idea why I feel that way.

  • As much as I read and as big a news hound as I am, I think it's kind of weird I only have a vague idea of what Ikea is and why it is so prominent in pop culture. I think it's a furniture store.

  • Ask yourself Do I need this item before you buy it, pay cash and factor into the purchase price the number of hours you'll work to pay for that item. You'll be surprised at how much extra money you have and how much less junk you'll accumulate. Actually I believe most people would be blown away by the results if they applied these axioms to their consumer habits.

  • One of my friends told me in the 1980s when VHS was getting big, his family bought a top of the line VCR saying,"It was as big as a microwave and it cost something like 1200 dollars." I have a 5 speaker Phillips home theater sytem with subwoofer that plays DVDs, cds, automatically plays a slideshow with picture cds, has a jack to connect an MP3 player, USB direct connection and has Dolby digital logic surround. As I recall, I paid about 150.00 dollars for that system. Crazy, huh?

No comments: